Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only 22, but have not been taking decent care of my teeth (though I've never had a cavity). Scared as I am about this, of course that will change.

The teeth on the sides of my mouth (behind my canines) all have a white 'border' nearest the gums. This is permanent, not just tartar buildup, and I have had them since I was a teen. I was scratching on one with my nail Saturday night, and a chunk of my tooth just fell out. Not a big chunk, but one that is visible. The tooth doesn't hurt and is just (more or less) white---no grey, brown, black, etc. I think that the 'hole' has gotten a bit larger since then. This is an incredibly unflattering (and somewhat blurry) photo, but you can see a pic here.

Any ideas what would cause this and if/how it can be corrected? My husband recently changed jobs and we currently have no dental insurance, but that should be remedied by next month.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My tooth looked like that....it was a cavity. It also looks like you might be brushing up and down on your gums too much....that's what I had been doing. I was advised to go in very small circles instead so you don't push the gum line down like it is. Definitely head for the dentist next month.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I have a "hole" in one of my molars. It isn't really a hole, but one of my dentists called it that. It's really a chip off the corner. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years and every time I go to the dentist - through moves and 3 different dentists - they say, "Oh, that's a weak spot and we'll probably have to fill it next time." Then when I go back they say the same thing. I guess the enamel chipped off? Anyway, in my case at least, it hasn't caused me any problems and they don't even see the need to fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts