Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been buying cloth diapers online to the tune of $10-$20 a piece, and am pretty sure I can make them cheaper myself. Everything I've read about making AIOs talks about using PUL. Is there any way to make an AIO without using PUL, or will it leak? I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to make them so absorbant on the inside that I can use any fabric on the outside.

I've never made a cloth diaper - so I guess it's possible that I'm misunderstanding the construction... Any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think if you were to get it thick enough to not need a waterproof layer, then it would be too thick to wear. Wet cotton/absorbent material had a tendency to get other absorbent fabric wet because water tends to disperse. We have a few pockets that we have made out of regular fabric store fleece. They still get wet on the outside, but they work ok. If you want to use MM (Malden Mills...buy it online) fleece, it has waterproofing in it. It will keep the wet inside. PUL will do the same thing as long as you have a good soaking layer in it.

Diapers can be cheaper to make yourself, but they don't really get cheaper until you have made quite a few. If you buy 3-4 yards of fabric (outer, inners, linings, doublers/soakers) to make one diaper, it is a pretty expensive diaper. If you use those materials to make 3-7 diapers (depending on construction and size), then it is worth the money. My best suggestion is to get the best quality fabrics and closures (love touchtape personally) possible. That said, my t shirt and flannel diaper is still one of my best. If you want to/can spend a little money on your outside fabric, you could get a great inside with available fabrics.

One last question- What is your sewing experience? You say you have never made a diaper, but have you made anything else? I did clothing and that kind of thing before so it was really easy to pick up sewing diapers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another question then.
Can I use PUL in between the inner layer, and an outer, decorative layer? I'm just wondering if the appearance of the diaper has to be dictated by how the PUL looks...

As for my sewing experience - I took apparel assembly in college (it wasn't my major - just a 'obtain add't knowledge' kind of thing), and I have a good machine and serger; I haven't sewn much in the last two years but am getting back in the saddle, so to speak. I've done clothing, but mostly decorative things, like slipcovers, placemats (which hardly count as sewing, LOL), and the like.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What size are you making? Have you checked the links in the diaper making resources? You can buy fabric by the yard, by the "cut" (a rectangle of fabric) or in kit form. You can make diapers fairly affordably- an AIO kit out of flannel ranges from $4.99 to $7.99 depending on size.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Darling you are good to go then! Having a good sewing machine, serger, and sewing knowledge, you can do anything.

Yes! You can put pul as a hidden layer in the diaper. That will work great! You can also have your own fabric made into PUL. If you join a coop, they send in fabric every few months. Your fabric comes back ready to use in a diaper. If you are interested in that, I can give you some names.

What fabrics do you want to use? Everyone seems to have a favorite fabric. Lately, I seem to like the microfleece inner with a pul/procare outer. Sometimes I put an extra cute fabric on the outside. I then stuff it with microfiber or a prefold or both. I have also been making covers for my prefolds.

If you know patterns, then it will be super easy to trace your favorite fitting diaper. Just add seam allowance or make adjustments, and you are good to go!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, you can embellish diapers in many ways - you can dye or paint PUL, apply fleece appliques, or embroider them.
HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts