Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the phone with my sister tonight and she told me she had been letting her baby who is two weeks younger than mine, about 4 months, CIO for the past week. I immediately told her a bunch of reasons why she shouldn't, and now she feels terrible and is worried that she's caused her baby boy damage

Do you think a week of CIO would leave much of an impression? I feel so sad for him

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think there would be any lasting damage. With all three of my children, there were times when they cried for me and I could not respond fast enough. I was in the bathroom, or in some other part of the house, etc.

They all seem fine now!

I'm glad you were able to talk your sister out of CIO. I'm sure your nephew will be much happier now and be able to quickly recover from whatever discomfort the week or so of CIO caused.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think any damage a week might have caused will be erased by the loving attention she will give him in the future.

In other words - try to help her move past the guilt and realize that when you know better, you do better. There's nothing she can do about that week, but if she responds to his cries from now on, it can only have a positive effect.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Girl View Post
I think any damage a week might have caused will be erased by the loving attention she will give him in the future.

In other words - try to help her move past the guilt and realize that when you know better, you do better. There's nothing she can do about that week, but if she responds to his cries from now on, it can only have a positive effect.
Precisely this! Give her lots of info and encouragement and send her on her way. It's great that she is receptive! It seems like so many people in my life that practice CIO aren't receptive (or just don't seem to care) when presented with the facts, and it breaks my heart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.