Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an intact, retractable boy/man, does smegma produce on a continual basis? Like, if he wipes it away during a shower, will there be some there a few hours later? And a day later, he will have started back at square one with a day's accumulation?<br><br>
I don't know much about smegma obviously, but I know it's not "dirty". It just seems people use smegma as a reason to circ, even if they are told it's easy to wipe away. And people act like if a boy/man gets smegma under his foreskin, then he must not wash well enough. But if it is continually produced, then he's going to have some amount all the time, right?<br><br>
So if a mom sees smegma under her son's foreskin (for whatever reason she's looking) it doen't necessarily mean he's not rinsing under there right?

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
It is my understanding that smegma is like vaginal secretions and it is made all the time. And just like with a woman you can bath but by the end of the day you have more there. It is a protectant to keep the mucosal area safe from bacteria. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I've also read that it's produced continually, as a lubricant. Young boys will have less of it, older boys/men will have more.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Shaunam</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">In an intact, retractable boy/man, does smegma produce on a continual basis? Like, if he wipes it away during a shower, will there be some there a few hours later? And a day later, he will have started back at square one with a day's accumulation?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Each man will produce smegma at a different rate according to his body. For most men, a day's accumulation will not be visible just like for women a day's accumulation of smegma is not visible. One man said that he didn't think there was any such thing as smegma because he had never seen any in his entire life. I told him not to wash inside his foreskin for a couple of days and see what showed up. Three days later he came back astounded that he did indeed produce smegma. This man was middle aged and bathes every day. Just that simple hygiene was sufficient to prevent enough of an accumulation from showing up to be visible. While the body does produce smegma on a continual basis, it is clear until there is a significant build up. This is true for both men and women.<br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">I don't know much about smegma obviously, but I know it's not "dirty". It just seems people use smegma as a reason to circ, even if they are told it's easy to wipe away.</td>
</tr></table></div>
They do but the majority of those who use that justification don't realize that their daughters also produce smegma. They are left quite speechless when they are told this simple biological fact and are asked why they didn't circumcise their daughter for the same reason.<br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">And people act like if a boy/man gets smegma under his foreskin, then he must not wash well enough. But if it is continually produced, then he's going to have some amount all the time, right?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yes, even while they are washing, their bodies are producing smegma. Again, true for both males and females.<br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">So if a mom sees smegma under her son's foreskin (for whatever reason she's looking) it doen't necessarily mean he's not rinsing under there right?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Well, not necessarily. If there is a visible accumulation, it probably does mean that he isn't rinsing or that he hasn't bathed in a couple of days. However, there really isn't any need for much hygiene in the preputial space before puberty. After puberty, there is only slight need. The need for this hygiene is for the man's sexual partners sensitivities. For actual hygiene other than esoteric needs, there is about as much need for hygiene as there is for vaginal hygiene. Just as women rinse their vulvas for their partner's benefit, men will want to rinse the preputial space for their partner's benefit. If I found a woman who had significant collections of smegma, I would question her overall hygiene and I think this holds true for men as well. I would also question a man's intelligence if he had significant accumulations of smegma. It would tell me he is not intelligent enough to realize that this would be disturbing to his partner and could end a sexual relationship with her.<br><br><br><br><br>
Frank

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Joan</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I've also read that it's produced continually, as a lubricant. Young boys will have less of it, older boys/men will have more.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
It has slight lubricating properties but they are not significant in the grand scheme of things. It gives the surface of the glans a slightly slick feel when moist but once dry, it has no lubricating properties. Since most men's foreskin retracts on erection and the surface is only moist to begin with, this lubricating property disappears within minutes or less. This may be something that modern times has outgrown. Thousands of years ago, it may have had a function when the two sexual partners had to get their business done quickly as they watched for attacks by sabre tooth tigers. It would only be for initial penetration when the woman was dry. After that, the womans vaginal lubrication is so much more that any lubrication that might be provided by smegma would almost instantly be rendered insignificant.<br><br><br><br>
Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts