Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of moving to dundas? what are you thoughts on the area? we live in downtown toronto now and I can't take the noise, the cost, etc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i have lived in dundas my entire life, with brief periods overseas and a couple of years in downtown hamilton. while dundas is now part of hamilton, it still retains it's unique village atmosphere. we have great artists, lovely trails, good schools and from what i've heard a good homeshooling network. housing is cheaper in parts of hamilton, but there is something really special about dundas imo. if you have specific questions about the town feel free to pm me!

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
I'ma a Hamilton girl at heart. Moving back asap. All my friends lived in Dundas growing up. While I love DUndas to visit, I would never live there.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Because the transit in Dundas is really bad, and it is really boring for teens and preteens. My friends nearly went nuts there.<br><br>
I don't know if it has changed since I was in high school, but Dundas used to have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Canada. It was even mentioned on Letterman once. It also has a high rate of teen drug use, etc. The two public high schools in Dundas aren't very good also.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Oh, and while I love the old parts of Dundas, I can't stand the new suburb, cookie cutter houses in the newer parts of Dundas, but that is just my personal preference.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
The teen pregnancy rates and drug rates are verifiable facts that you can look up. Same with the bad transit.<br><br>
The rest is purely my opinion, like I said with the personal preference. And a pp asked why I wouldn't live there, and I explained why.

·
Registered
699 Posts
well, my friends and I were never bored, never had babies when we were teenagers, and for the most part never engaged in drugs! i would like to see the stats on the teen pregnancy as that was back in the late 70's, early 80's. the elementary schools are great, i can't speak for the highschools.<br>
yes transit is not very good, but you can catch a bus to hamilton every 40 minutes.<br>
i live in the older section of dundas, and do not head out to often to the new development.<br>
we have a great community centre, drop-ins, arena and pool, lot's of parks for playing (dundas driving park with wading pool and soon to have free skating). fantastic soccer league. hmmmm...i guess i could go on and on.<br>
if you have specific questions about dundas, i would be happy to answer them.<br>
i chose to come back here to live and raise my kids and i love it. my dh is from bracebridge and came here to live just for university, he was depressed being in hamilton, as his job gave him a very seedy, povery stricken, drug laden view of it (not all parts of hamilton, i like different parts of hamilton!), but once he discovered the marsh for skating, the trails, the waterfalls he is happy to stay here too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
whole family grew up there. It is very lovely. I spent many a summer in Dundas and have a great fondness of it. I can attest that none of my cousins had babies as teens, nor were they drug users. They have all gone on to university and are happy well adjusted people. Most of whom, still reside in Dundas.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Speaking of Dundas.. do any of you ladies know of any resources for things to do in winter with a 14 month old? I'm "going home" over Christmas for a month, and staying with my grandmother.... small, unchildproofed house, spirited baby... I need things to do! Are there any indoor playgrounds in the area? Play groups? Any advice would really be appreciated!!<br>
Meg

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
There are lots of ontario early years centres and events at the library and such.<br><br>
myhamilton.ca often has a list of events.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a stay-at-home mom living in Dundas and would like to meet up with like minded moms with toddlers at my home. I am feeling isolated as I am new to the area and don't get out much. If you favor breastfeeding, organic healthy foods, positive reinforcement-type parenting, please respond.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts