Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question would probably be for military mama's that have had a hb with or without a mw present. Ok...Dh and I are going to ttc in January. He should leave for basic training in February. If all goes well (keeping my fingers crossed) we should be to his duty station sometime in the neighboorhood of July. Well, my question is this...Have any military mama's successfully had a homebirth? I would really like to plan on (barring my babe doesn't decide to make an early grand entrance, as is a habit with my kiddos) a homebirth, with a mw present. Can this be done in the military? I am pretty sure that this wouldn't be covered by military health insurance, but hubby and I would pay for it ourselves. How would I go about researching this? Even if I am not preggo when he leaves, I will be as soon as he gets out of basic and school, so it's still an important issue for me. I know that this question may seem to come a bit early, but I am ready (I would love to ttc NOW, but hubby wants me to wait until he is home for the birth) to educate myself of this issue. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power! Thanks, ladies, in advance!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Laura, depending on where you are stationed, it is possible to get it covered. I need to find the links again, but i remember the jist of the Tricare policy on homebirths. IF you use a CNM, and its legal in the state you're located in, then Tricare WILL cover the birth. I believe you are responsible for just 25% of the bill. This doesn't mean it will be easy to get it covered, you'll likely have to fight them to get them to cover it, but it IS in the policy that its covered. It will require a lot of paperwork, but its possible. Oh, and the CNM needs to be in network. According to a DOD policy, if a mother does not want to give birth in a hospital, she can opt to use a birthing center or homebirth, as long as its legal and the provider is in network. You can search the tricare website, the entire handbook is available there. So the main problem would then be that you don't know where you'll be stationed (i assume. we knew because he got it in his contract), so it will still be iffy. Its definitely possible though. And from what I've heard, you shouldn't be hassled about getting the new baby set up as a dependent or on Tricare. You'll do the birth certificate through the state as usual, then just take the paperwork in to get the baby on DEERS. I haven't actually had a homebirth since dh joined the army, but i had my dd 6 months before he left for basic training at home, and was planning to ttc this summer but changed my mind. I had already looked into all the issues involved and narrowed my search to 2 midwives - a CNM who would be covered but I'd have to pay $2500 out of pocket and drive over an hour for appointments, then get reimbursed, or a lay midwife who'd allow me to do my prenatals with our CNM's on base (who i hear only make the really low riskers come in every 6 weeks instead of 4) and just use her for the birth and it would be cheaper but wouldn't be reimbursed. But as it turns out, we plan to ttc this winter/spring, and by the time the baby is born, we won't live here anymore.<br>
Anyway, I hope this has helped some. If i can find the specific links for you, i'll come back and post them. But if you just do a search for Tricare and homebirth, you should be able to dig up the same stuff.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Insurance for military members and their families is provided by Tricare. Dealing with Tricare is a pain, but no more so than dealing with most other insurance providers. Under 1996 legislation, military insurance, formerly CHAMPUS, must provide coverage in line with what is the norm in the civilian world. It is your right to have your baby at home and it is your right to have your birth attended by a midwife, albeit a CNM, if midwifery is legal in your state.<br><br>
'm in the process of planning for a homebirth that will paid for in part by Tricare. You first have to find out if there are any in-network CNM's in your area. If there are not, then find CNM's that do homebirth and ask if they would be willing to bill Tricare. I'm in a situation where there are no in-network providers, so I can choose whomever I want. All of the ones I have spoken to have said that they are willing to bill Tricare, but I still have to pay their full fee upfront.<br><br>
Tricare's reimbursement rate for midwives is shameful. Here it is only $900, and the average cost is about $3500. You will probably end up paying some out-of-pocket. If you are transferred to the hospital, though, all of that would be covered 100%, if you are Prime.<br><br>
I'm finding it to be a pain in the butt. Start researching the midwives in your area before you get pregnant. Go to your local Tricare Service Center and talk to them. If you call the 1-800 number you will get a different answer every time you call. The local office will be more familiar with the local providers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts