Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose a woman whipped out a bottle of formula, at, I don't know, say, a really crunchy store or coffee shop to feed her baby. And the owners told her she would have to cover up or leave (akin to what has happened at Starbucks and VS).

Do you think there would be an actual lawsuit after an incident like this vs. just a big "Bottle In"? I have to think the public outcry for something like that would be tremendous, and sadly, a lot louder than anything in support of breastfeeding in public.

It just made me think...all people should have that kind of outrage over a baby not being able to be fed...but I seriously bet if it were a bottle being denied people would just freak on out.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieV
I seriously bet if it were a bottle being denied people would just freak on out.
Of course! And, they'd be right. Bottle fed babes has a right to eat, lol! All "denials" are wrong.
But if you're asking if they'd freak out MORE over the bottle - oh yes! It's a bottle feeding culture!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, yeah, they'd absolutely have the right to!! Babies need to be fed, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that there would probably be actual litigation involved, whereas when it happens to us we just have a nurse in. Is there any reason why businesses don't get fined or something when they turn away nursing moms considering it's protected by law???

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
I have wondered if this has ever happened, because there have been a few stories where the reason the security guard listed for telling the breastfeeding mother she couldn't was that no food or drink was allowed. Is there ever a place where you couldn't take a bottle of formula? I know there have been issues in swimming pools and breastfeeding in the pool. Could you bottlefeed a baby in a swimming pool, or might that be against regulations of some public pools?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wouldnt bf *in* the pool. I dont think I would bottle feed in a pool either. I also wouldnt eat a pretzel or something in the pool. really youre not suppost to get in the pool soon after eating either. now the area around the pool with all the chairs. yes of course. those chairs are meant for sitting and eating or whatever.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I think you should be allowed to feed a baby anywhere you want, even a swimming pool. I probably wouldn't feed my baby in a pool either, just because it would make more sense to me to sit on a bench or the edge of the pool.I think I'd just be more comfortable there. If there's a place where food is not allowed, like a pool, but nearby there's a place where food is okay, like a bench or a cafeteria room, I usually go there. If there is no place nearby, I'll just nurse whereever I am, because my baby isn't going to wait 2 hours for us to get done swimming to eat. If it comes down to nursing in a pool, a few feet away on a bench, or a 2-minute walk across the way to a cafeteria area...well, I don't think it'll do any harm for my baby to have to wait those 2 minutes to eat. I'd rather take the 2 minute walk than have to deal with rude comments or the hassell of being told to move. I may be in the right, but I don't want to fight about it all the time, lol.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
that's the way I've always looked at NIP, and will probably be my refute should anyone say something. "Could I give her a bottle here?.... well then I should be allowed to bf her here!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts