Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We've had a harrowing and nightmarish few days here, and I thought I'd use our experience to remind others to ALWAYS follow your gut when you think something is wrong with your baby. I'm so glad I was persistant. Here's our story:

I went back to work after FMLA on Wednesday. Thursday, both kids were home with a sitter we love and trust all day. When DH came home, the sitter said that DD2 was having trouble taking a bottle, would suck, scream, stop, cry, and try to suck again, then scream, etc. He thought she might be swallowing too much air, but she'd taken bottles of EBM before. Her breathing, normally a bit loud due to laryngomalacia (congenital condition of the larynx, not dangerous), was VERY loud, raspy, and rapid. I got home shortly thereafter, and she nursed fitfully. Her breathing remained fast and loud.

We asked our neighbor, a nurse practitioner, to listen to her chest. She said the rasping was not there, but in her throat, but the breathing was so rapid that she suggested we go to the emergency room. I took her in, her blood oxygen levels were very low, and the ER docs gave her a breathing treatment and a shot of steroids, and admitted her for observation. By morning, she seemed calmer, breathing slower, though still loud. She was exhausted and slept a while. The pediatrician on-call from our practice (crabby old man #1) came in, said she had a rotten cold, and she'd be fine. I asked what we should do for her at home, and he looked at me, sighed, and said "feed her, get her some sleep, and put a vaporizer on." We went home around lunch.

By mid-afternoon (Friday), she became very fussy and upset. She was hard to console, and breathing fast again. I took her into her pediatrician's office, where the doctor on call (crabby old man #2) looked at me like I was a hysterical first-time mom and said, "She has a terrible cold. She'll be fine. Just put a vaporizer by her bed." I told him she seemed much more upset than she should be for just having a cold. He said, "She's got a cold. Really, she'll be fine."

I took her home and walked her around the house in a front carrier for 6 hours. She would pass out exhausted for a few minutes at a time, then cry again. At one point she fell asleep on DH's chest for a couple of hours. She spent about 95% of her waking time for 24 hours absolutely hysterical, barely nursing. At one point, I tried feeding her a bottle of EBM while I walked her around in the Snugli. It took me an hour to get 2 ounces in her.

Saturday afternoon I called the doctor again, this time getting a different on-call pediatrician. This one said maybe DD2 had an ear infection, and if she was still upset the next day, we could bring her in to check. In the meantime, she suggested tylenol every 4 hours. By Saturday night, DD2 had cried herself hoarse and slept on my lap on the couch, upright, for 6 hours, then on DH's for another 3. She finally began nursing again --fitfully -- in the wee hours of the morning.

Sunday morning I called the pediatrician again and asked to be seen. We got her in, and the nice on-call doc I had spoken to on the phone was there, examined her, and said she had a whopper of an ear infection. She also had a burn (!!!) on her tush because the "cold" was making her poop so fast that it created something like rug-burn. We left with a prescription for antibiotics, instructions for continued tylenol every 4 hours, and finally, FINALLY, validation. Now, two days into treatment, this morning, DD2 smiled and laughed at me, and I cried a little.

Even if a doctor tells you that your baby is fine, if you think s/he's wrong, PUSH. Push until someone helps your baby. I was prepared to take DD2 to another hospital if Sunday's appointment had yielded nothing. I KNEW she was hurting, and I was right. Mama knows!!!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I hate that doctors don't listen more to what mom thinks might be wrong. We're very lucky with our family doctor--she always starts with "Well what do you feel, what is your gut telling you and we'll start there"

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Way to stick with it mama. Very odd that neither grumpy doc checked your little one's ears - seems like that would be one of the standard things they would do!

VERY glad you and your babe are feeling better.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, both grumpy old docs did look in her ears with the light-thingy (I'm too tired to remember what it's called!), but not for long -- and to be fair, she may not have had the ear infection in the hospital. The nice doc did say that they can come on fast. However, she did what looked like a very thorough ear exam, cleaning the wax out of each ear with a little metal tool and then really looking for a minute or so in each ear.

I'm not as upset that they didn't find her ear infection earlier as I am that they made me feel like I was overreacting to my baby's pain. I don't care if she looks ok to YOU -- YOU have just seen her for the first time in your life! She's MY baby and I KNOW that this is not her "baseline!"

mean old doctors!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I don't care if she looks ok to YOU -- YOU have just seen her for the first time in your life! She's MY baby and I KNOW that this is not her "baseline!"

Exactly!! Good for you!!!

And hope your dd is feeling better, mama.
This new mama is taking notes.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yikes!

We just took our ds to the er this morning for rapid breathing...wouldn't you know it...double ear infection.

Thank goodness we didn't have to go running around this time. However, the reason I took him to the er instead of the ped is because our dd (at 1 year old) had pneamonia (sp?) that went undiagnosed for OVER A MONTH because the ped we had at the time kept telling me it was a bad cold. After our third visit to the ped's in 10 days, I took her to the er...and one whole lung was full. She spent the next week in an oxygen tent.
I am so glad your little one is ok...Keep trusting the inner mom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.