Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friend and his girlfriend just took their brand new baby out for her first outing. They took a stroll along the river. When the time came to breastfeed her, the new mom "tensed up" and had trouble nursing. She felt uncomfortable because she felt others were uncomfortable with her nip.
:

The friend is on his way here now and I've got my soapbox out and ready. I swear, people should be approaching nursing mothers with cold drinks and pats on the back, and instead all some have to offer are dirty looks and averted eyes. It makes me crazy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I remember the first few times I NIP. It was very intimidating. I did have people encourage me though and now I can whip it out almost anywhere!

It's amazing the double standards that are in our culture - it's ok for TV to inundate us with things like a barely dressed Paris Hilton humping a car, but then people look down on the most natural thing in the world - a mother nursing her child. We're so repressed in some sense and way too permissive in others.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starfish03
I remember the first few times I NIP. It was very intimidating. I did have people encourage me though and now I can whip it out almost anywhere!

It's amazing the double standards that are in our culture - it's ok for TV to inundate us with things like a barely dressed Paris Hilton humping a car, but then people look down on the most natural thing in the world - a mother nursing her child. We're so repressed in some sense and way too permissive in others.
Well said again!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starfish03

AMEN!!!!!!

I can't tell you how much having online and IRL friends who are breastfeeding has helped me to be comfortable NIP... after all I'm doing my children such a great and wonderful thing!

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I second the double standard thing! On Sunday, beach volleyball was on TV after a baseball game we were watching and I kept thinking that these women could wear bikini tops which looked like their breasts were going to pop out of but women are critisized for showing less skin than that when nip! Argh!

But, I must admit, it took me a while to get comfortable doing it too...but I think the more we do it, the more (some, but hopefully all) people will get used/comfortable to it and our culture might just change a bit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen
: I swear, people should be approaching nursing mothers with cold drinks and pats on the back, and instead all some have to offer are dirty looks and averted eyes.
I sat down in a little store in Maine to nurse my then 3 month old and this happened! I almost cried!
I wish it could be like this everywhere and everyday, but as I'm reading this forum and getting all
: I'm just going to keep remembering that day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.