Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am somewhat struggling with music choices at my birth. i know I may not even use the music during labor it may annoy me by then but at this moment I feel music is very calming and a large part of my relaxation. The reason for my ''struggle'' is some of the choices I have may not co-incide with my midwives' faiths. I'm not sure they even co incide with mine but I'm very drawn to chants and other meditative music. I am going to use a freestanding birthing center (a compromise between my husband and I )  I think if I were birthing at home I would be less concerned with this as it would be my home. kwim? I have an appointment thursday and I do plan to ask about comfort levels with certain music choices, I know in the bigger picture it's not a huge deal and I'm sure they've seen clients that had music choices and other traditions out of their ''faith''. I highly doubt it would be a  dealbreaker and I'd storm out of the birthing center over it..lol. I want to develop a close and trusting relationship with them b/c frankly I'm the type that genuinely needs that type of support. I guess I'm just kind of nervous about any possible reaction . I'm torn between asking about it or just showing up with the music when we go in. I plan to labor as much as possible at home. Realisitically they won't be right there the entire time I labor anyways.....so should I drop the anxiety over it?  wwyd?</p>
<p>eta I'm also considering hypnobirth affirmations....which I know won't be ''offensive''.  but I'm still really drawn to music or a mixture of both...</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>Goodness. It's YOUR birth. I highly doubt any midwife would be insensitive enough to tell a labouring woman she found her choice of birth music heretical. :p If you're worried, mention it to them beforehand. Or use an iPod. :p</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And actually, I've already run across one woman who's horrified I'm planning to do Hypnobabies. She comes from a Pentecostal church and thinks Hypnobabies will "attract demons". So you never know what'll offend whom!</p>

·
Registered
434 Posts
<p>A midwife should have no opinion of your musical choices or any other religious customs. Her only concern should be the health of you and your baby. I'm sure a freestanding birth center (or any care provider, homebirth midwife or hospital OB) serves a wide population of varying cultures & faiths, and will not bat an eye at chant music, etc. There are so many different ways that people choose to birth based on their religious customs or otherwise, and none of it should matter as long as you & baby are doing just fine. I'm a doula, and I LOVE hearing all the different musical choices people have. I've been compiling a list in my notebook and started a "Future Birth" playlist long before this little June Bean was conceived. :) </p>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<p>Not sure what faith you are talking about but I am Buddhist and some of my music that I have on hand for birth is Tibetan chanting.  But my most favorite I will be using as well is Jennifer Berezan's "Returning".  All my music is meditative/yoga based. Any how, they don't care, they are there to help you and enhance your experience, trust me.</p>

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>thanks ladies lol smokering...bahhh demons..hypnobirthing..yikes?? I'm just going to bring it up at my appointment . I'm feeling much more calm about it now. I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. I think just typing it all out helped me feel a bit better.</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>Never hurts to bring things up! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And yeah, the hypnobabies thing threw me a bit too. The funny thing was, the girl who was so horrified at the thought told me that during her births (which she found very traumatic and painful) she'd try to concentrate on something, a picture on the wall or whatever, to take her mind off the pain. So I was all "How is that different from Hypnobabies? It's just mental techniques to help you handle the pain", and she got a bit flustered and didn't know how to answer, but clearly still disagreed with me. :p I left it, but I won't be surprised if she or her mother "tactfully" contact my mother before the birth and warn her that I shouldn't do it. The same day this happened, they "cleansed" their church hall because they discovered to their horror that a fancy dress party had happened in it and some of the kids were dressed as witches. And they prayed for protection for all of us (who were gathered in the other room while I taught them cake decorating). I kept thinking "Protection from <em>what?</em>", but decided to keep my mouth shut. It seems they're very "into" being conscious of demonic powers and so on... which, fine, whatever, but I object a little when they then equate Hypnobabies to reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards or summoning the God of Chaos. Maybe she was thinking of the creepier stage hypnosis shows, where they make people eat onions and so on? (Not that I'd call that demonic either, but it can have a vaguely creepy vibe, I guess...)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, for perhaps obvious reasons, I don't have a huge amount to do with this family socially, so it may not come up. They may form a prayer group during my labour to protect me from the evil consequences of my foolish actions or something, I guess... but as long as I don't have to hear about it! :p</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts