Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not pregnant yet but am hoping to be trying again soon. My fiance, who faints at the sight of blood said he would agree to a hand-off midwife. However I am considering waiting it out and using her only as a backup. However, with my son labor came very quickly and I tore considerably. I called a mw for the last twenty minutes. She stitched my tears and then two hours later I called her back in. I was bleeding through the stitches. She threatened to undo the stitches and then when I protested she was trying to figure out what to do instead. I said something like "Can't we try pressure first." We did. It worked.
My question is, has anyone else had bleeding issues? Is there anything I can do to fix it myself next time if I try and go unassisted. What about stitches? Do tears heal without them? Is it insane to try and convince my fiance to let me birth completely solo?
H

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Bleeding issues after birth can be scary. I had a mw for my hb and she recommended taking alfalfa from wk 34 on. This increases vit K levels to reduce bleeding. I had been a little concerned about it because I was taking 4X the max recommended dose of vit E (had deficiency symptoms when I cut back) which increases risk of bleeding. After all was said and done, my mw commented that I had "an almost bloodless birth" which apparently is unusual. I do believe that the alfalfa helped.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Your stitches were bleeding? Like at the tear? Not gushing or trickling from your uterus?

any tear will heal naturally, but some heal better with stitches.

(ps don't use the same mw)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You could try homeopathic Arnica during the last part of your pregnancy and also during labor and right after birth. Also Hypericum and Staphysagria after birth might help.

As far as herbs, wouldn't Shepherd's Purse help with that type of bleeding? I don't think it has to be uterine bleeding, but I could be wrong. And it sounds like it resolved with pressure, which you of course could do yourself, or have dh do for you.

I don't know if stitches are necessary or not. I haven't had that issue myself. I think some UCers have used surgical glue, but I don't know the specifics and you would probably have to be careful putting it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts