Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked in the LLL handbook but can't seem to find any info that seems to match this specific situation.<br><br>
I've noticed for a few months that nursing gets really painful for about three days around ovulation. Usually if I can bear it for about a minute after latch it's not so bad. However, this time I noticed a small painful bump at the base of the left nipple, that just coincides with ds's top teeth. Ouch! I favored it for a day and it got better, but then I got one on the right side, right where his tongue rubs - this one is worse and the skin has broken. It formed a small scab which gets rubbed off if we nurse that side.<br><br>
Because the spots are where his teeth are you would think he was biting, but he really doesn't. I wonder if my skin is just extra sensitive as usual or if this is some kind of rash or thrush or something. We've never had thrush and he doesn't have any of the symptoms, although I did notice one solitary red bump on his bottom - like a pimple. Tonight it is almost gone.<br><br>
Any ideas? I've been putting BM on the sore and letting it air dry...should I be using something else as well? We all have a nasty cold virus right now too, I wonder if that is contributing. I don't know how this will ever heal if it keeps getting reopened, right now it's only about the size of a ballpoint pen tip, but bigger than earlier today.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found this thread, so now I'm more worried - sounds just the same as what I'm experiencing.<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=636603&highlight=herpes" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=herpes</a><br><br>
Should I wean from that side until it clears up? See a dr.?<br><br>
The other side is clear and we are SO not up for a temporary wean of both sides.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You mentioned that you all had a cold..it could be a virus of some sort..if it was Herpes then they could either culture it or do a blood test on you....so this little bump it comes and goes once a month? What type of symptom does your dc have? This may be TMI but do you have HSV? You dont have to answer, but that could be what it is...how old is dc? Very common for children to pick this up and you could of gotten it from him? Do you notice any back back or itchyness at the site before the bump appears? If so i think it might be that...good luck with this...breast milk is best though..also a SoftShell from medela would help..you wear it inside your bra and it has a little hole that your nipple goes through which allows your nipple to air dry and heal at the same time...i used one on my nipple one time when ds bite me and it got infected...with breast milk and neosporin it healed very quickly..like 2 days i think...keep us informed...hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding! I don't mind the HSV question at all, that was my concern, but not so much since I did some online reading.<br><br>
I've never had HSV II, but always thought I had HSV I because I get really bad canker sores whenever I'm stressed. Turns out those are really mouth ulcers, I don't think I have HSV I at all. Especially since I've never ever had a cold sore on the outside. So I feel a little relieved, and a little stupid for not knowing the difference. My son is two years old so I assume past the danger zone for HSV but of course I'd still hate to pass it on to him. There was also no itching, and this is the first month that I've had the bumps or broken skin.<br><br>
If he is the one who passed it on to me, then I guess my only concern is healing, which seems to be going well just by skipping that side more often. Good advice about the soft shells, I'm familiar with those from my inversion in the beginning, but they wouldn't work for this because the sore is right about where the edge of the hole would touch my nipple.<br><br>
Thanks again - I'm going to get tested anyway I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts