Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theodore Sorensen was special counsel to President Kennedy, 1961-'63 and made this speech to the graduating class of The New School University May, 2004.<br><br>
Here's a snippet:<br><br>
"...For me the final blow was American guards laughing over the naked, helpless bodies of abused prisoners in Iraq. "There is a time to laugh," the Bible tells us, "and a time to weep." Today I weep for the country I love, the country I proudly served, the country to which my four grandparents sailed over a century ago with hopes for a new land of peace and freedom. I cannot remain silent when that country is in the deepest trouble of my lifetime..."<br><br><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6300.htm" target="_blank">http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle6300.htm</a><br><br>
I found it thought-provoking and moving, thought you might too.<br><br>
Joyce in the mts.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Almost in tears. I don't know what to say. You know what makes me want to weep? Not only that these atrocities occur, but people here in this country, people who think of themselves as good people, say things like, "Oh well, they do worse," and by doing so, excuse the behavior. That is what makes me weep. It's not just our government taking actions I don't agree with. It's the low morality of my countrymen, the inability to feel empathy for a people in pain. That is what makes me weep.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I think a lamentation is appropriate. Agree with everything he said.<br><br>
Today's news featured a town hall debate in a suburb over whether a mosque would be allowed to be constructed. I couldn't believe the bigotry, the anti-Muslim fever I heard. One woman said it would be a 'magnet for terrorists' in their community. This makes me so sad when I think of all who have come to America precisely so they could practise their religion in peace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts