Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Crescent Dragonwagon and her book, The Passionate Vegetarian, I have a new favorite way to fix tofu. Maybe this is old hat to long-term tofu eaters, but it was new to me.<br><br>
Take a one pound block of firm tofu and cut into desired shapes -- I did sticks about the size of my finger, but squares and triangles would work too. Nothing too small, though.<br><br>
Make a marinade of 2 T. liquid (I used tamari, she recommended mirin but I didn't have any) and 2 T. cornstarch and whatever seasoning floats your boat (I used garlic). Mix it well and marinate the tofu pieces in it for 40 minutes on the counter or up to overnight in the fridge. Make sure the tofu gets coated on all sides.<br><br>
Then bake in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes, turn and bake another 5 to 10 minutes. The turning over is the only tricky part. They kind of stick to the pan, even though I oiled it. The first time I tried to flip them they hadn't baked long enough for the coating to get set, it needed the full 15 minutes but I was worried it was going to burn. It didn't. Then use a metal turner and a firm hand to flip them.<br><br>
The cornstarch is the key to this one -- and it is fabulous! When it's done, you can use it any way you like -- add it to a stir fry, use as a sandwich filling, dip it in a sauce. Whatever. I'm going to make another batch soon and freeze it and see how that goes. It would be great to have some on hand for quick dinners.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
That sounds yummy...did you freeze the tofu first?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't freeze it -- just used it straight from the fridge. It gave it a nice chewy texture with a good coating on it -- I could really imagine using it as a chicken nugget substitute or something like that. I will try it frozen though and I'll try freezing it after baking. I'll report back.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. It sounds like the tofu ds eats (and loves) at our fav veggie restaurant and I've always wondered how they made it. I'll try it soon!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I just tried something new (to me) with tofu too. After thawing and pressing it, I sliced it and browned it in oil then drained on paper towels. It was almost leathery and I tore it into pieces to add to a stir fry. Dh is really into the texture of his food and he thought it was great!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. It was so quick and easy to make. As well as delicious! Before they could even cool DH and DS was eating them up. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts