Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an issue recently with my DD - it has come to my attention that she and a friend have been excluding a little friend at camp (some of you may remember that I wrote about it and received wonderful advice from you mamas!).

Anyway, we started a ritual right then and there called "Good Choice, Bad Choice". I don't even know what inspired me to do this but I told her it was a game and started giving her scenarios (a man wants you to help him find his lost puppy, you broke something and when mommy asked you about it you didn't tell the truth, eating broccoli instead of poopies (I always have to throw a little levity into things!), etc). DD loves this game and it is even more gratifying to me when she is able to come up with the examples as well. We used this method to figure out a better way to deal with this excluded little girl and DD was the one who came up with the solution!

It's been a wonderful way to "revisit" lessons in a fun, non-lecturing approach. Hope someone else can use it.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Lovebeads:: that is great! It reminds me of the way Waldorf uses stories to teach; and if you are in a situation that is difficult w/ child it is advised instead of talking about it where they really dont want to hear another mommy-DONT-lecture than coming up with a story that involve the same sort of situation/issue and other characters and giving a way to positively outcome it is best.
Laura

·
Registered
10,706 Posts

Great tip. I'll be using it I'm sure. We've been having such good times lately and easy, peaceful things have been working for us as well. I really want to start remembering them to post about here.

Sometimes I feel things can get bogged down with challenges that it would be nice to have some positive threads in GD. No offence to people who need help. I've *SO* been there. I'm just giving a nod about discussing our positive issues as well.

Thanks, Hannah

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Yes, Lovebeads, great idea! I can see this working for dd....
Also, Laura, I think I will look up more that Waldorf technique--dd really responds well to this kind of "story-telling" teaching, although I had never read about it as a Waldorf thing. Just something we came to naturally because dd tended to relate story situations to real life situations....

I "fell upon" a trick that helped us recently--sort of a twist on role play.
Dd is a cautious person, and new things can be difficult for her. She gets anxious, rather than excited. So, we were just playing one day, and she was "being" the mommy and I was "being" the child. She loves to parent me, and uses a lot of gd!

IRL, we needed her to go to a babysitter in a couple days--happens about 4 times a year. She knew about the plans, but was anxious and opposed. So, while playing, I (as the child) asked "do I *have to go to P's house?", and since she was the mommy, dd gently explained *why I had to go (Mommy and Daddy both have to work that day), and all of the reasons that I would have fun there (P gives you junk food
, P's neighbors have a little boy to play with, P has lots and lots of Barbies at her house....). Basically, it gave her the opportunity to argue *for going to the babysitter, rather than against (as she had been doing up to that point). And, from that moment on, she was more relaxed, and even excited, to go to the babysitter!
Then we tried it with the idea of dance classes--which she was very opposed to as well--and now she is begging to try dance classes!

This is 2 for 2 with us. Maybe someone else has an equally cautious kid who could benefit....

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunmama, thank you! I love this! I will use this as well - what a great way to teach empathy. It also breaks the cycle of negativity - when a child doesn't want to do something and they often don't even know why, they just get stuck in a position of arguing without thinking about it (gee, I wonder if I ever do that
). This can show them how to look at it from a new perspective and really examine the benefits.

I love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts