Mothering Forum banner
601 - 620 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm making my way through all these posts. So happy to have found this. Let me explain why...I have 2 daughters that are suffering from depression.

One is breastfeeding her 20 month old. She goes up and down. As a teenager it was pretty bad and they put her on Prozac, which, quite literally, made her crazy. Probably one of the scariest times of my life. Eventually she was put on Wellbutrin, which did ease the depression some. After her 2nd was born she experienced PPD and took oral progesterone tablets and they did help. She has been telling me lately that she is feeling overwhelmed and feels like she needs to do something, but with breastfeeding she is kind of hestitant to try anything.

Another daughter has been suffering with severe depression, anxiety and forgetfulness caused by the depression. She is losing her hair too. They actually call it "depression induced dementia." It's scary. She has been on many different drugs and she always hates the side effects, so she goes off them. Problem is, it is getting really bad and the doctor wants to put her on Prozac, of all things. This scares the daylights out of me!

There is so much info on this thread and I am hoping to be able to help them implement some of the suggestions. Can anyone give me a reasonable schedule of what they should be taking. I am somewhat confused by all the different supplements recommended?

Inositol?
5-HTP?
B Vits?
Magnesium?
Potassium?

I really need all the advice that anyone can offer. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post
Another update.........I am COMPLETELY OFF of Zoloft, and I feel pretty happy right now!

I upped my fish oil to

-Country Life Omega 3 mood-2500 mg EPA, 375 mg DHA-5 softgels daily
http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Omega-3-Mood

- Doctor's Best Magnesium Glycinate- 600 mg- 6 tablets daily
http://www.vitacost.com/DoctorsBestH...ptionMagnesium

-average of 2,000 IU Vitamin D- 2 capsules dailyevery day. This is very important for depression.
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-...holecalciferol

-I use Liddell Anxiety Spray under my tounge if I ever feel like I need it, not every day
http://www.iherb.com/Liddell-Letting...0-ml/9647?at=0

-Selenium-200 mcg- 1 capsule dailythis is proven in study to be helpful for depression
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Selenium

-NOW Special Two multi (high bcomplex)- 4 v caps daily
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Speci...Vcaps/787?at=0
http://www.beeyoutiful.com/super-mom.html (same as NOW special two)

-1500 Choline/ 1500 Inostiol 6 vcaps per day- for my PCOS, but helps mood too I think
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Choli...sules/513?at=0

Femaprin-one cap every day for hormones PCOS
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Fe...ules/1945?at=0

I feel better! I was having sexual side effects from Zoloft, having trouble getting ar**sed when I was with dh. It also made me feel numb or something! Glad for zoloft when i Needed it, but now I am glad for fish oil ,so I can hopefully forever be off of meds!

The magnesium glycinate is the best for depression. Mag Citrate is ok, and I use it when I run out of glycinate, but I am trying to take glycinate as much as possible now.

Here are my suggestions. My schedule has been tweaked some, but this did help me for a few months.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I need help. My brain is too muddled to wade through this whole thread. Will someone who has been here done this pm with the vital info I should take to my Dr on Fri?? Please?
I know I am having PPD but am scared of meds bc of my reacttoeverythingintheworstwaypossible history. My Dr is very natural minded but I would like to know the high points here....

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
I remember muddling through this thread in a deep haze early last year... there's no real 'one-size-fits-all' solution. your best and easiest bet would probably be to get the book The Mood Cure, that most of the info in this thread is based on

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
MamaMen, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I remember that feeling. Four years later and I'm still on the plan. I tend to be really anxious and feel stuck when I get overwhelmed.

I take:
Tyrosine, 500 mg in am, 1000 mg at night [My advice: get it WITHOUT B6. Too much B6 can cause nerve damage.]
5-HTP at night (can't remember dosage, but one pill)
Cal/Mag at night, it calms your muscles
GABA at night; this is KEY for a good night's sleep for me

I also eat a good amount of lean protein and eggs.

If your doctor isn't supportive b/c s/he hasn't heard of this regimine try it anyway. I have never heard of anyone having a bad reaction. The worst I've heard is that a few men I know don't like GABA b/c they feel it makes them sluggish. I wonder if it has a hormonal effect on some.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Does anyone else think this thread needs to be restarted so those who are feeling overwhelmed with life don't feel overwhelmed with the amount of information in the thread?

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatSG View Post
Does anyone else think this thread needs to be restarted so those who are feeling overwhelmed with life don't feel overwhelmed with the amount of information in the thread? [/I][/B]
yes, i was thinking that myself, but it would be good if someone goes through and pulls out and compiles a big chunk of info - could be done pretty easily by multi-quoting relevant posts and doing a little copy-paste, or start the new thread and then click "reply" while the multi quotes are still active from the old thread. then a link pops up that transports all the quotes into the new thread.
if that makes any sense.
but yeah; i don't have the koach to do it myself.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Quote:

Does anyone else think this thread needs to be restarted so those who are feeling overwhelmed with life don't feel overwhelmed with the amount of information in the thread?
Truly. This thread is old and long. The OP has had about four different user names since then.

I will *try* to go through some of it, but for goodness sakes, if anyone else wants to, please do so. There have been spin-off discussions on a lot of these issues, so it would be really cool to link to those too.

If people want to work on it together, maybe we could create a Google document that we could share and edit. Just thinking out loud. I've actually never created a Google group or document.

Amanda

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
Truly. This thread is old and long. The OP has had about four different user names since then.

7 years here, 5 years since the thread started, two changes and not a lick of depression. I'll take it!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
7 years here, 5 years since the thread started, two changes and not a lick of depression. I'll take it!

Congratulations!
(really, only two changes? LOL)

For me, it is four years since a down cycle. I got through a pregnancy and newborn period in that time with one challenging week or two when baby was going into surgery. None of it is easy but I would do this pregnancy twenty times over instead of one more time with my first. What a major difference! It is hard to communicate how deeply grateful I feel for that.

Amanda

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Yes, I too had another pregnancy that I would do (along with the post partum part!) a million times over. 100% difference from the first two. Words cannot express the difference in actually being able to BOND with the baby. And it wasn't a trouble free experience either...he needed two minor procedures but I had a totally different perspective about it. He's 3 now and beautiful. (Amanda...remember the pics you asked for? You would be fascinated with the difference in facial structure between 1 and 3 and then little miss 2. I will have to get some pics onto this computer and send them.) Everything just makes sense when your head is clear. Going from where I was to where I am seems almost impossible, but it did happen. And it happened with the support of amazing people, dietary changes, energy medicine and body work (chiropractic and CST.) No meds.

Anyone who hasn't read Amanda's book SHOULD. It's a major help, IMO even when you are in the depths of despair. I wasn't lucky enough to have it available when I was, but even in retrospect I can see that it would have spoken to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been trying to weed through all the posts and I think I have the gist of things I need to go buy to help my postpartum anxiety but how long do you have to be on all of this? I will do what I need to do, but I hope I don't have to take these things forever! It could be pricey. Are you able to wean off of some of these things after awhile?

Thanks! I am so grateful to find this! I was going to start anti depressants TODAY but I think I will give this a try first!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read that increasing your essential amino acids, like an amino acid supplement targets the source of the imbalance, and works really well. The best cure for the "baby blues" is encapsulating your dried placenta and taking it post birth. I did this with my second birth and no blues. I was even healed in five days postbirth. First pregnancy took weeks and I was depressed for months after. Try this and have the happiest, fastest recovery that nature intended! God Bless!!! Contact me here or at [email protected] for more info on the subject!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I came up with a routine aminos that helped me a LOT, and stuck with it for a few months. Naturally, after a while, it's human to miss a dose here and there- and soon enough I realized I had gotten myself up to speed and could taper off.

My main helpers were GABA and l-tyrosine. I don't take them regularly now- just GABA when I'm PMSing and need to work on my short temper, or when I'm overthinking life and know that I'll have trouble falling asleep without some help "putting the brakes on my brain."
The l-tyrosine I take once in a while when I'm groggy in the morning, and need to feel more clear-headed to start my day. (I don't drink coffee, and I'm glad
)

I'd bet that everyone has different set of specific needs, and will get them met during varying amounts of time, but YES, being able to wean off of them because we don't need them anymore is a priceless benefit of nutritional therapy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I am glad you can wean off because I don't want to be taking this for years. I just bought my tyrosine, inositol, etc. and it was $$! I will gladly pay it if it works and it is "natural". I hope i have the regime right:

12g. inositol taken in the morning
500 mg. tyrosine taken 3 times a day
100 mg. 5-HTP taken 3 times a day (Is L-tryptophan ok? I have a ton of that since I used it to sleep at nights)
500 grams GABA a day? Is this broken up throughout the day?
Vit. B complex
Omega-3 and fish oils
Calcium/ magnesium/ zinc

Plus I have been doing a few other supplements. Any other input? Advice? Do I need to tweak anything? I HOPE with all my heart this works! Anything else that is good for anxiety? I don't have the depression as much as constant anxiety. I'm THIS close to trying the anti-depressants but would love to avoid them.

This board is great! Thanks so much for your replies!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
This thread is great! I remember glancing at it about a year ago, and my head swam and I thought there was no way I could ever comprehend what was in here... But I've still been struggling (and my issues are not just postpartum, the mood problems have been with me a while, but they've sure been heightened by it), and found The Mood Cure. I'm taking supplements- vitamins right now. I'm adding 5-HTP to it. I've been off grains since Sunday. I am really feeling a major difference, I don't even know how to explain it, but I don't feel like I'm on the verge of being Ms Hyde constantly. Soon I will start GABA because it's the anger issues that really really have my family in a state, for sure. Day one and two off grains were rough for me (almost felt like a hangover), but yesterday and today are good. It is sooo reassuring to see the older posters come back and say it's still working for them.

Quote:

Hello, everyone! I'm so glad this thread is still going strong. It's so important for us to take care of ourselves.

Just wanted to post this finding: A lot of amino acid supplements contain B6, as do multivitamins, as do B supplements. We get all the B6 we need from food (usually) and too much B6 can cause numbness and tingling in the extremities. You need a lot to induce this side effect (it seems), like over 1000 mg, but if you take a lot of supplements you could easily get close to that number. If you already take a multi or B complex try to get your aminos without B6, just to be safe.
Good to note. I was considering getting GABA calm, but perhaps I will go with GABA straight. I can't remember what B vitamin it said it had, but there was something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
thanks, that's good to know. I'm pretty sure I'm good, and I get my inositol and L-tyrosine pure.

So now I'm taking all this stuff for about a year and a half (wow!) (anyone interested can check my past posts on this thread) and my life is sooooo much better. I am a wholly different person, happy, calm, confident, beautiful. I was starting to think about cutting back on some of the supps, and about a month ago we went camping for a few weeks... well, I didn't really get it together to keep up with my stuff, and the result was really bad. I had a few days of crashing into a deep depression, feeling anxiety, overwhelmed, thinking about self-harm... So I'm realising the value of these aminos and stuff.
this thread has really changed my life.

Thank you SOOO much for the update. This makes me feel hopeful that the same will happen for me.

I already feel better just a few days and a few supplements into it.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
afaik no one is really really sure. but the general consensus is that there's no problem with it, and in any case it's far better than chemical anti-Ds

601 - 620 of 654 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.