Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is OK to post here.

I just finished reading a series of posts on a mainstream board I post on, for mothers of reflux babies -- several of whom know that CIO is not recommended with reflux babies, but still want to do it and are looking for support and "BTDT" advice.
"It worked great with my first baby who didn't have reflux, and I want to do it with this one too of course."

It just makes me so sad to think about their babies, in pain from reflux, waking wanting their parents' comfort and instead having to CIO. I know how much it hurt my little one to cry when she had reflux, I can't imagine intentionally creating a situation where baby has to do so.

It's a mainstream board and I didn't want to start a debate (in fact, one of them posted that they "don't want to debate CIO") - I just posted suggesting that they look into non-CIO options and maybe investigate the No Cry Sleep Solution, that they may find other approaches which work for them without risking worsening reflux. Hopefully a non-debating post which says "We used this and didn't have to use CIO, my dd sleeps great and maybe you'll find the same with your little one if you try it" will come across as less threatening? I hope so. And maybe something will be learned if one of the moms tries the book ....

It just makes me sad when people assume CIO is the way to go, and must be done, and that there's something wrong with babies when they night-wake ... instead of recognizing that it's natural and normal and that there are other ways to adjust to things than CIO.
Especially when the baby is waking in PAIN.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bless your heart for posting on that board. Who knows, maybe you gently nudged a mama or two to respond to their hurting baby more sensitively.

·
Registered
341 Posts

It is sad how many parents think CIO is an option. I do hope your post is received without hostility, and if it even encourages one mama to explore other ideas then it's worth that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.