Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very frustrated as I just spent WAY WAY longer then I needed to to update a site because the original designer did not use CSS!!!

Style sheets should be the FIRST thing you do when making a site, in my humble opinion, and I don't understand, for the LIFE of me why someone would opt to just NOT use them at all?!?!?!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...now maybe I can breathe again!
thanks for letting me vent!
phew!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Oooh, I feel your pain. I can't even begin to describe the number of projects I've worked on that didn't originally use css, including a site/cd-rom I just updated that had nearly 150 pages of no style sheets. Argh.

When I finally get around to doing my own site, style sheets will be a must. As will be proper documentation. I hate seeing layers of embedded tables without any documentation as to what is what. Makes life very difficult. <sigh> But I guess that's what I get paid for, right?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I started web developing in 1997 and didn't know anything about style sheets back then... heck not sure they existed. But I learned about them 2 years ago and redid my entire site with them (800 pages... ugh). But it was soooo worth it. I cannot imagine having to update 800 pages from scratch now.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my gosh you two! I guess I shouldn't complain as I didn't have anywhere near that many pages to deal with!
LOL

BUT any unecesary work always irritates me!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I don't use style sheets because I am learning html on my own and barely have the basics down. I learn when I have time and don't have alot of time to spend learning better ways to do it. For now doing what I do is working. If I was to hire someone it probably would be a headache to deal with but it's what they'd be getting due to time. I do not have the money to hire someone to make my site for me either.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When I first started, I didn't use stylesheets either. But I was thrilled to discover them. They make changes sooo much easier, especially when coupled with Server Side Includes (SSI) or templates in php or perl programs.

One of these days, I'm going to learn to use xhtml and CSS to create tableless pages, but not sure when that will happen.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well, I can understand you pain, but style sheets are not necessarily compatable with every browser. So maybe that's why they were used. My husband detests style sheets, but I understand it's all what your familiar with. I'm just starting so style sheets will probably be what I go with.

Sorry for your frustration.

Olivia

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Good point, Olivia. I think (for me) that the biggest problem is "updating" sites that were created 3+ years ago -- a lot of the html is so clunky and difficult to wade through, especially if someone had the bright idea to create the site in Word so that there's a lot of extraneous code.

·
Registered
522 Posts
PHP is really cool, it separates the design of a site from the content. I found a really great tutorial:

http://wdt.silent-aurora.net/php07.php

Rats! It's gone!!! Rats! Double-rats!!!! Well, there are lots of tutorials out there, and I promise it's easy to figure out. The hard time for me is finding the time to actually do it, so for now, my tables will have to do.

Although I think you can find lots of templates out there, that's also an option.

susie

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RomansMamma
Ok, I'll bite! How else would you do it?
CSS positioning. You can read about it here: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/practicalcss/

Personally, I use some positioning and I have replaced all my style tags with CSS. But I still use a few tables to center everything on the page or as an easy way to give the document some structure. I don't think one or two tables on a page are going to hurt it. It's when you start nesting dozens of tables that you end up with bloated and bandwidth sucking code.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what style sheets are. I started out doing my own webpage and when I hired a designer to redo it she used style sheets and I'm sure it was a pain in the butt to do. I felt really bad for her. Now all I need to know is where to stick my HTML, LOL!

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
we use CSS sometimes, and sometimes we don't. it depends how important it is that the site be accessible to everyone, as CSS has limitations.

when not using CSS we use includes to make updating quicker.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cyne, I'm glad you're getting some good info!
Thanks for all the links gals!

using tables doesn't bother me at all, though!
I guess each person has their own pet peeves

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.