Mothering Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, baby was transverse on tuesday after being head down for weeks. So midwives wanted me to come in thursday (today) and see if he flipped around. I did some spinning babies stuff between then and now and what did he do?

He turned the wrong way.

So now he's fully breech with his head up in my ribs.

The midwives are referring me to a doctor to get a Version to flip him around because they don't do breech babies at the birthing center. :(

She wants the Version to happen tomorrow or ASAP and I'm a little freaked out. She told me they would do the Version and then put a belly binder on me so that he couldn't flip back around.

Oh and also there is a small chance that his heart rate could crash or I could crash and have to be rushed off to get an emergency c-sec :(

Anybody ever have a Version before? I'm a little scared to look the steps of it up because I don't want to freak myself out but I have to say I am stressed. The midwives want it to happen right away because I'm over 38 weeks. :(

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
DD Crashing again: I will pray that everything goes well. I know it must be scary.

My friend does the Webesters Tech. I know that he has great success. So I know that the baby can be moved.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh, how scary and frustrating!

I've no experience with a version anywhere near 38 weeks, but I understand the desire to try to turn baby before it's any bigger. You know already it's not completely risk-free - hopefully your midwives were able to refer you to someone with a lot of experience. I honestly don't know if I would do it myself.

It's possible the baby could turn down with a little persuasion from you (inversion, ice pack, etc.). Is vaginal breech birth an option anywhere for you? Also not risk - free but options I would at least consider if it was me...

I hate feeling the time pressure to make decisions like these!

Hugs... Good luck... Let us know how it goes whatever you decide!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey there. I was suprised to see your thread about this because I just went through a decision making process. At my appointment on wed, my midwife wasn't sure that baby was head down, so she asked if I wanted to get an ultrasound to check baby's position. Baby was breech at the ultrasound, so I was faced with the decision about going to get a version too.

I ended up deciding to go for it because it seemed like the risks of starting labor or needing an emergency c-section are really low compared with the benefit of going forward with the plans for a home birth, or at least a less risky vaginal birth. What my midwife told me was that people have a range of experiences with versions ranging from barely feeling anything to a lot of pain and soreness that lasts a couple days. But all of it depends a lot on the amount of fluid you have and how big baby is already and where the placenta is.

You could also start trying spinning babies and moxa and those other natural things before you do the version...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't experienced that, but my midwives are also experienced with breech and should that happen to me as well, I won't necessarily be faced with a c-section or hospital birth.

Perhaps try your method again? Or what about these (I know recommended before 38 weeks, but the chiropractor might also be an option?)

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-a-Breech-Baby

Anyway, I hope this works for you and will be sending good vibes your way!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would definitely recommend finding a chiropractor who's experienced in flipping babies. I'm really lucky being in LA - went to a famous guy today because I was worried about baby being right occiput transverse (which Gail Tully/Spinning Babies considers a posterior position), and he put me at so much ease, telling me the position of the placenta, my high fluid levels, and the fact that baby hasn't dropped all suggest that labor will be the best time for baby to move into a better position. Posterior is not the same as breech, of course, but I'd still consider chiropracty if you have someone available to you. So sorry you're dealing with this!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's possible the baby could turn down with a little persuasion from you (inversion, ice pack, etc.). Is vaginal breech birth an option anywhere for you?
I have done inversion and different spinningbabies.com techniques and that's when he turned breech. He was transverse but after doing the spinningbabies stuff, he went breech. The only place to have a vaginal breech birth is a hospital and my local hospital is VERY uncomfortable with breech and has a high c-sec rate when it comes to breech babies.

I haven't experienced that, but my midwives are also experienced with breech and should that happen to me as well, I won't necessarily be faced with a c-section or hospital birth.

Perhaps try your method again? Or what about these (I know recommended before 38 weeks, but the chiropractor might also be an option?)
That's awesome your midwives are experienced with breech. Mine does not do breech and told me they would immediately transport for a breech and that's why they rushed me to a version in hopes baby will stay head down and I can stay in birthing center.

I would definitely recommend finding a chiropractor who's experienced in flipping babies. I'm really lucky being in LA - went to a famous guy today because I was worried about baby being right occiput transverse (which Gail Tully/Spinning Babies considers a posterior position), and he put me at so much ease, telling me the position of the placenta, my high fluid levels, and the fact that baby hasn't dropped all suggest that labor will be the best time for baby to move into a better position. Posterior is not the same as breech, of course, but I'd still consider chiropracty if you have someone available to you. So sorry you're dealing with this!
Being that I am 39 weeks today, they wanted the a version ASAP because if he gets too much bigger it will get harder and harder to flip him. this is also my first so everything is pretty tight. As well as I found out that my fluid levels are on the lower end (not scary low, but lower) and my placenta is up near my ribs which is right where his head was so they were worried about that as well.

Thank you all for your support and concern! I love that I have you guys to come to!

Here's the update. They called me at 9:00 am on Friday to come in for an appointment at 11:45 am. I showed up and they got me hooked up to an IV and explained all the things that may go wrong and the process of the version. I was nervous but was trying to stay calm. They did an ultrasound to see exactly how he was positioned. His head was near the center of my ribs, leaning to the right a bit with his butt pretty securely wedged in my pelvis. They gave me a shot of a medicine that would prevent contractions (I honestly can't remember what it was called) but they informed me that it would make me feel jittery and make my heart race a bit. That made me more nervous because I have panic attacks sometimes (not related to pregnancy) and when I feel jittery it can lead to a panic attack. But I know breathing techniques to work through that so I started focusing on that. The doctor came and explained what she was going to do and that it was going to hurt and I just needed to breath and let her know if I felt like i was going to vomit. She started to push on my belly, leading the baby with her hands to flip him and it was incredibly painful. Laying flat on my back is uncomfortable, but this was insane. About 2 minutes into her pushing, I started to feel the blood leave my face and the cold sweat on my forehead and my SO spoke up and said something and I realized then that my hearing was getting foggy like when I'm going to faint. I told the doctor that I thought I was going to pass out and she said she's going to stop pushing but she's going to hold the baby where he is because he was almost head down. I agreed and my SO reminded me to breath. I had been holding my breath on and off without realizing. After about 30 seconds I felt normal again and wanted the doctor to continue so she did and it was only about another 30 seconds before we felt him pop into place.

Needless to say, I was VERY happy the process was over. They hooked me up to the heart monitors and waited 30 minutes to make sure the baby was ok and tolerated being moved. He did so well and was kicking me in the ribs again almost immediately. The jittery feeling lasted for about an hour. They gave me a abdominal binder to help hold pressure on the belly to keep him in his head down position. I am scheduled to have another ultrasound with my midwives on wednesday with my prenatal visit to make sure he's staying head down. So, ultimately, it was a success but man.... it was a very painful process. It being the next day I feel fine and normal. So hopefully this boy will keep his head down :p

·
Registered
217 Posts
So glad it worked! So sorry it hurt..... But, probably much better than ending up with a c-section, right?

It irks me to no end that our choices are often limited to 'policy' of local administrators, never mind the skills for version/breech delivery just aren't widely taught, and when you need them, there may not be much time to look for options and make decisions...

And now, 39 weeks, not far to go! I love feeling those kicks in the ribs and knowing that baby is still head down.... Mine had flipped vertex, then breech again around 33 weeks and I was so relieved to feel kicks up high again...

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
That's some ordeal! I'm glad you're all well and that he's head down now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support you guys!

I'm going in wednesday to my midwives to get a full ultrasound (not just the bedside crappy screen one) to make sure he's in optimum position. I've been wearing my abdominal binder (why does this thing ITCH SO MUCH???) so I hope he has remained head down. I think he has but I'm a little nervous just because he moves so much, even with the limited room!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ugh, I was going to ask how uncomfortable the belly binding was..... Itchy is the worst! But hopefully only a few days, a week, and you'll be holding little guy!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!

So, went in for the ultrasound today after wearing the belly binder for the last 5 days and.... he is head down still! He is firmly lodged in my pelvis so they don't think I have to wear the abdominal binder anymore because it's pretty unlikely he will flip again just due to lack of room. They also said that my amnio fluid was at a 15 (which apparently is great) and not low at all so I'm back on track to have my birthing center baby!

So, all in all, the version was painful but definitely worth not having to have a c-sec or hospital birth (hopefully) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts