Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first off I'm not sure where in the heck my son could even pick them up.But yesterday I found a single lice looking thing on his head. I lookd everywhere for nats or anymore of them and didn't see any. I also soaked his head with olive oil for a couple of hours last night hoping if there where any they would be killed. My question is how can I be sure it is lice? Could it be from my moms dog, could the dog lice get lost?
I looked at all my animal babies and other than dandruff there was nothing I could see. I washed the bedding last night and was going to salt my carpet and vacuum just in case. But is there anything else I can do just in case?? He has only itched his head maybe three or four times since being awake. which is about two hours. I washed my head in using teatree oil last night. Any advice is needed and welcomed. My mom used RID on me as a child and that is all she knows. And there is no way I am going to do that.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You did all the right things, congrats!

You should do the same treatment on yourself and others in the family though, just in case.

Don't forget that lice live in all warm or furry spots, so be sure to get armpits (if unshaved) and all the other unmentionable parts (adults and teens only).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is some great info I found on it. http://www.headlice.org/ and they sell a comb and say that combing them out and not using any RID is the best treatment. I also found out that its pretty slim chance you will get them from beds and couches. Those sprays are real bad. Its would be like one chance in three years you would get lice from a bed and they die with in 24 hours. OH ya they don't leap or fly.
Pets can't get them and thier only on humans.

That site says:
Save your time and energy for what will benefit you most, delousing the individual. NEVER USE A LICE SPRAY!

Oh ya pubic lice are not the same as Head Lice and Body Lice are not the same as head lice Head lice are only on the head and very rarely on the eyebrows.

Pictures of one. This is nice and they sell non-toxic kit too.
http://www.licefreee.com/headlice-pictures.htm

The most important thing you can do is make sure you get the nits they can be hard to see and using direct sunlight is the best. Get the nits you won't have the lice. That above link has good pictures of what they look like. You can get head lice from anywhere you have close contact with a person, hugging someone basicly head to head must touch before you get it. Maybe your mom has it LOL. Anyone can get it at anytime its one of the most common things.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Olive oil is the best next to mayonaisse. Both of these work great on killing lice. Just remember to keep on a miminum of 6 hours. Overnight with a shower cap is the best and wash hair well in the morning.
I use Lice Guard head lice repellent spray, all year long for my oldest daughter. It is safe and Non-toxic, it also has a great flowery scent. It is made by ARR Health Tech., Inc. And can be reached at 1-888-994-8213. I love this stuff. I also send it to camp with her. I descoverd it one year when her 1st grade class had an out break ot if. She was one od the few who didn't get it. All of the lucky ones used Lice Guard.
Good Luck

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Comb, comb, comb...best thing you can do (and safest!) is to just comb those boogers out of there. We still comb once or twice a week just as a preventive measure (and we haven't had them for 7 years!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Found a great article thought to post it here for future searches.

Don't use those over the counter lice products on your children. Those products are expensive and they can be toxic, especially if they are used repeatedly (because they are poisonous chemicals). Please use the following remedy. You will feel good that you did!

Steps
Clip an old towel around upper body and neck to prevent a huge mess.
Saturate hair with olive oil. This dissolves the exoskeletons of the lice as well as their nits.
Wrap scalp in plastic wrap or a plastic grocery bag, making sure to cover the nape of the neck.
Let set for at least 4-6 hours. Preferably over night.
When time is up, saturate hair with vinegar. Leave the vinegar on for about an hour. Vinegar will dissolve the "glue" that attach the nits to the hair shaft, therefore making them easier to remove. Vinegar is also an awesome hair/scalp "build up" remover. It will leave hair soft, shiny and residue free.
Thoroughly comb hair dividing into 1/2 inch parts using a fine tooth or a lice/nit comb. A good comb is absolutely essential. Good nit combs have metal teeth that are very close together and typically cost ~$12 or more (e.g., LiceMeister or Nit Free Terminator comb). Start with at the scalp working your way down to the hair ends.
Double check to make sure you rid hair of all lice and nits.
Shampoo hair with "Dawn" liquid dish soap rather than regular shampoo. This step will instantly remove the olive oil and vinegar from hair.
Condition hair as usual. Use a "leave-in" conditioner if you have it. If you don't, regular wash out conditioner will work just fine.
Check hair in 7 days. If you find more lice and/or nits... Repeat this treatment.

Tips
When doing the vinegar rinse, have your child lean his/her head over the bath tub. This will help prevent a mess.
When combing out the lice & nits, be sure to focus on behind the ears and nape of the kneck. They love these areas.
Another method is to massage mayonaise into hair, cover with a plastic cap as indicated above, and let it set overnight. Rinse your hair in the morning (With your head in a sink to avoid getting mayo all over yourelf or your child) and tada, no lice, and silky hair!

Warnings
Do not let plastics cover nose or mouth.
If your child has allergies to any of the ingredients listed. Do not use this treatment.

Things You'll Need
Olive Oil
Vinegar
Good Quality Nit Comb (e.g. LiceMeister, Nit Free Terminator)
"Dawn" Dish Soap
Conditioner (preferably "leave-in")
Old towel to wrap around the kneck and upper body
Plastic Wrap (aka "Saran Wrap") or plastic grocery bag

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Li...Nits-Naturally

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
We just went thru this. I used mayonaise, a cheap-o jar from Aldi's, left on for two hours, rinsed out with vinegar.....comb comb comb
Vacuumed and washed all bedding.
Put the poor stuffed animals in a garbage bag, they're still in there.

NO ONE else in our family had them, there's seven of us. All the nits I found were inches away from scalp and NO live ones. Nits are "glued" to the hair shaft, they won't just brush or blow off. You have to grip them with your fingernails and slide off the hair shaft, or use the teeny toothed comb.

DO NOT use the spray stuff !!!!! Toxic toxic toxic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts