Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that I am a long time member of mothering.com and a previous poster in this particular forum. I'm opting to ask this question under a different name as my ex-partner is aware of my regular screen name.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone here had filed for abandonment. I know there is a certain period of time of no contact that must occur, but after that time period comes and goes, what happens? I have since gotten married (part of the reason I've stopped posting here...even though I still have single parent issues/questions) and would like for dh to be able to adopt ds. I have sole physical/legal custody of him and ex hasn't seen him/contacted us in quite some time.

Anybody with information on this?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I believe it depends on which state (or country) you live in. We
might be able to help further if we knew the state, and how long
it's been since your ex has contacted you or your ds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that...we live in New York and he hasn't seen ds in almost 8 months, we haven't heard from him in almost 6...I heard a rumor that he moved elsewhere in the state and he has changed his phone number. I believe the time for no contact in NY is 6 months.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I thought no contact was more like a few years, and that includes no child support? I really don't know though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fairly sure that given the age of the child it's 6 months (I ran it by my lawyer the last time we were in court) and child support, while a factor, is not the end all/be all decision maker. As it is, we're not receiving any support. Ex sent one check, had his wages garnished for another and that was it. I imagine he quit to avoid losing money.

I'm really just curious as to whether anyone has gone this route, what the outcome was and how long they had gone without contact before pursuing further legal action.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I did it, in my state its 12 months with no contact or support. I did it on my own without a lawyer
Anyway, I looked it up an in your state its 6 months with no contact or support and since your DH wants to adopt you should not have any problem with getting a TPR. The time it takes varies, in my state it can be done in as little as 6 weeks or like in my case about 4 months because I couldn't serve him the court summons and had to publish the notice in the paper in this last know town of residence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts