Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few nights I have woken up in the early morning hours and moved to roll over and felt incredible pain in my upper abdominal muscles. It seems like muscle pain because when I rub the muscles themselves, they feel tender and sore. The pain does not occur if I am laying still, but if I try to move at all from laying on my left side, I feel the pull and pain just in that location. When I wake up a few hours later for the day, the pain is not there.<br><br>
I am 22w5d pregnant. Anyone ever experience this? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Is this your first? I had a similar sensation with my first, due to the streaching of the ligaments and tendons in my abdominal wall. When I got to the third trimester, I also had serious floating rib pain as that area spead apart. This time around, it's not too bad although I'll still get twinges if I try to do something I shouldn't (like a sit up).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It's above the actual uterus?<br><br>
I would vote normal. I think I remember having a lot of soreness in my upper stomach, as things adjusted to the sudden weight. And since you've definitely popped at this point, suddenly your upper abs are having to get used to supporting this big ol baby bump.<br><br>
If it's not in your actual uterus, but above it, I wouldn't be in freak-out mode. There are a lot of random pains and soreness all over the body at this stage, ligaments are loosening, organs are getting shoved around in there, there's sudden weight gain that your body has never experienced before, it's rough. If it gets worse and worse, call your MW. If it has you seriously worried and stressed, call your MW. If not, I'd just mention it at the next routine appointment.<br><br><br>
ETA: Since this is a night-time thing, thought I'd mention-- are you sleeping with a body pillow? Once I get big enough, I really need a pillow under my belly to kind of cradle and support it when I'm laying on my side, otherwise it like, pulls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts