Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the worst memory...and for the life of me cannot remember how long your breast leak after delivering? I plan on nursing...and just wondering how many breast pads i should buy (I'm using sposies).

Also - bleeding...(fun right?
) How long does that typically last? I gotta stock up on some pads too...lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well, I leaked for a good 9 months at least after having my baby. Not just leaked- I squirted! If you'd look down sometimes there would just be milk SPRAYING from my boobs into the nursing pad. Maybe I'm abnormal though.

I bled for about 3 weeks, but I've been drinking lots of RRL this time and I heard that is supposed to make that shorter.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I've had five kids so far and my bleeding lasted anywhere from 2 weeks-7 weeks. It really depended on how active i was, if i overdid i would bleed for longer. With my first i had very large clots and bled the longest. As far as breasts leaking mine typically lasts around 6-9 months.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
My breasts only leaked for a couple of months unless I was away from DS for more than a few hours without pumping. I regularly used breast pads for about 3 months. I bled heavily for about 2 weeks and then it tapered off slowly - about another 3 or 4 weeks of lighter stuff. I say buy what you need to get you through a month and then go from there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It totally depends on the mama. My friend and I had our babies 1 week apart.

I nursed for 14 months, but rarely leaked after the first 3. My friend was a human milk FOUNTAIN. She had to either nurse or pump at night or she'd wake up soaked. What she could pump in 5 minutes was what I could pump in an HOUR.

I bled for at least 6 weeks. Heavy for the first month. She was done after just 2 weeks. Not fair!

On a completely different note- she gained 25 lbs, I gained 50. We both had 9+ lb babies.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I bled for about 9wks and got my period at 13wks..I really just "spotted" from 5-9wks, so I'm almost wondering if I bled for 5 and then the 9wks was my first period---DS started sleeping through the night at 3wks. I used breast pads for about 4-5mos

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
after ds1 I leaked milk for EVER it seemed. Probably close to 9 months. But after ds2 I didn't leak at all. But it was the opposite for bleeding. After ds1, maybe 2 or 3 days, after ds2, like 6 weeks!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
With DD I leaked until my milk started to dry up during this pregnancy...so 14 months
Bleeding was bad for maybe 2-3 weeks, then slowed way down for another week or so, then gone.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I leaked FOREVER with DD. I definitely wore breast pads for 18 months, if not longer.

I can't remember how long I bled with DD...maybe heavy for 1 week, medium for 2 weeks, and light for 1 week. I ended up just buying three different types of pads (heavy, normal, and light), and I'm sure I will buy more. But this should be enough for the first week at least.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wow, I am really heartened by this thread. I thought I was odd because I leaked for over a year. I was also a fountain! I just had a few pairs of cloth pads that I put in my bra and washed regularly. There are also "lily pads" which stick onto your breast - they were pretty cool.

My bleeding started to peter out around 3 weeks and than it got really heavy again because I got my @#$ period - at 3 WEEKS postpartum. So I bled heavily for another week or so after that. I continued to have a nice heavy, regular period (see the sarcasm) through my 3.5 year breastfeeding relationship until getting pregnant again.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I never leaked. Well, maybe for the first few days. I had two packages of breast pads never opened. I bled for 6 weeks, and then got my cycle back 4 weeks after that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahahaha...okay, okay...so everyone is different! I guess i should've figured that much

I guess i'll just buy a months supply of "goodies" and go from there...

On another note, lilypadz didn't work for me last time...i SO wanted them to...but they just wouldn't stay on. I don't know if it's cause i don't have perfectly rounded breasts or what, but they just kept popping off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts