Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to be able to wait until the cord stops pulsing to cut it this time around, and I'm just wondering if delaying when the cord is cut will delay delivery of the placenta?

With dd's delivery the placenta just all the sudden detached maybe 5 mins after she was born and I hemorrhaged. I'm concerned how that history might affect the ability to do delayed cord clamping this time...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i don't know that it means anything about the delivery of the placenta?? but i just wanted to pipe in and say if you want delayed cord clamping you should make that really clear in advance... i asked for delayed cord cutting, and for DH to do the cutting, not realizing they would clamp right away, and then wait until it was convenient for us to do the cutting.... though at least that had the benefit that they couldn't whisk him away for warming or weighing or things like that.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I have read in several studies that delaying the cord clamping/cutting will aid in placenta delivery. The reason being that all the blood that is put back into the baby is no longer in the placenta, thus making the the placenta smaller and easier to deliver. I don't really know about the timing of it.

With my first born, we clamped the cord right away, (like your "suppose" to) and I delivered the placenta about 20 to 30 minutes later. With my next six deliveries we did not clamp right away, and I have delivered all the placentas within 5 minutes.
Can't say cause and effect for sure, but can say "I think it helps".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.