Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS1 had all his shots up to and including the MMR. He had a lot of issues when he was younger. He was on the border of being dxd with autism but it turned out to be a sensory disorder. He went through a couple of years of therapy, and is so so so much better. He does fabulously on a casein free diet.<br>
He is now 5.5 and his vaccination form is due at school. He is due for the follow-up MMR. Its put me into a panic. I am not sure if I should give it to him, or if I should get a religious exemption for him.<br><br>
At 5.5, is he "safe"??? At what age do you delayed-vaxers catch up?<br><br>
DD is now 3.5 and has not had the MMR, I am facing the same issue with her over the next few months. She is due to start preschool in Aug. She never had any developmental issues but I wanted to be cautious.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
With your ds, honestly, I'd get an exemption. He's showed borderline autisic tendencies in the past...I would REALLY not push it, regardless if they were due to previous vaxes or not.<br><br>
With dd, depends. What do you feel comfortable with? Have you done enough research to be confident to vax or not? If not, keep searching and reading until you are comfortable.<br><br>
The only thing I personally could think of as potential trouble if they attend the same school and your son has exemption but dd does not. THAT could get sticky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
If you decide to vax one and not the other, simply use the religious for both and keep the shot records to yourself. As far as the school is concerned, neither of the kids will have vaxes, but you'll still be able to get the ones you want if you so choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ladies. My gut is telling me to just get the exemption. I will go to the health dept on Monday and get it. As far as DD, what I would like to do is vax her for each component separately, 6 months apart. If I am going to the HD on Monday I will just get an exemption for her too and keep her vax status to myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
can you get a titer to see if he is immune? Would the school accept that instead of the vax?? Here in NJ we have Holly's law which says if your child recived their 1st MMR they can get a titer to see if they are immune, if so they do not need a second vax. My DD's school actually didn't even know about this...they do now..lol
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top