Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new here, just browsing around. I am due with #2 in August, planning a VBAC. DS was born at 38w3d after a 33 hour induction for "big baby syndrome" (rolling my eyes) failure to progress, c-section, yada yada yada.

So here is my question. I know generally first time moms go on average a week overdue. Since I was induced and had a c-section, do I consider myself a FTM in that sense? I labored for 33 hours and dilated to 4 if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
I was two weeks early with my second baby; labor was nine hours and he was my second homebirth. He was six pounds. Posterior presentation with a deflexed head and asynclytism. OUCH!

You will labor for as long as you need to. I know that answer is nothing, but really, with labor starting naturally for you for the first time, your body will just do what it has to to deliver your baby.

Good luck.

easy labor vibrations coming your way!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'm not sure about the c/s aspect of it, but the fact that you were induced shouldn't keep your body from having first time labor status. A good friend of mine was induced with her first and had a long hard labor. The second time around she labored easily throughout the day, not realizing until retrospect that it was even real labor. She reached the hospital later that evening - prepared to be sent back home - and had the baby an hour & a half later. I think her body handled it perfectly and her first experience probably did prepare her for her second.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I dont think you should consider yourself a first timer.......the length of gestation doesn't JUST have to do with labor itself, but how your body responds and does it's job. I know that many people think first time pregs are longer because your body is figuring out how to support a baby for the very first time......your body will really know what it's doing, since it's done it one other time before, you know?

That said, you really just don't know how long you normally carry babies for. Both my kids were "overdue" technically and I think that I just carry babies longer. My labors are VERY short, though. I say ask your mom and other women in your family what their history is in terms of uninduced labors and see what they say. And I would just tell myself that I'm going to be "late" and then if the babe shows up a little early, it's a nice surprise!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oh I don't truly believe that about first timers. Also with all the inductions these days, I find it difficult to come to a conclusion like that anyways.

I was partially induced with my DD, if there is such a thing, at 39 weeks. I was 5 cm and "failed to progress" so the induction stuff began. There is obviously no way to tell how long I would have went if I avoided induction, but...

With my DS I refused all induction intervention and he was born at 41 weeks.

Good luck with your VBAC!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I had my first at 39weeks 2 days, my 2nd at exactly 40weeks and my 3rd at 42weeks(augmented after my water broke). I would have been allowed to go longer before augmentation but there were decelerations and she was in trouble.

My mom had 4 kids. With 2 her water broke first, she never went into labour and had to have pitocin. They were both overdue. With the other 2 she went into labour, her water broke on it's own and she had them immediatly after her water broke. Her first & 3rd were overdue, her 2nd & 4th were early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts