Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as i am researching what to buy next since ds has outgrown the cradle carry in our pouch sling, i have come accross advice to not wear babies facing out--some people talk about physical reasons, some talk about pshychological reasons. we have found the kangaroo carry in the sling is the only way that ds likes to be carried now that he can control his head (which i think would be fine for his spine [?], but he is not going to last long in that position at the rate that he is growing!) and he gets real pissy if i try to put him facing inward in the sling or trekker, or on my back, unless he is already in a deep slumber. i am wondering if any of you mamas could share your experiences of babes who want to be out there in the world instead of nuzzled against you (does it make a difference that he's a leo?
) and info about carrying facing out in general? i have done a bit of searching and have not been able to come up with much, so if this has been discussed before, or you don't want to go into detail i would also appreciate being directed to other discussions or sources of info. thanks!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My DD went through a phase where she ONLY wanted to face out. So, I let her face out and didn't stress about it. It only lasted for a few months (around 4-6 months), and then she was happy with a back carry. With a stretchy wrap, you can get more of a seat under the bum, so that they don't dangle like they do in a Bjorn.

My way of looking at is that if it makes a difference with whether you will be able to babywear or not, then do what works for you and your baby.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
DS did the same thing at around the same time as the pp (4-6 months or so). I decided not to stress about it and he was quickly ready for back carries. I think I had tried the back carries before he was ready (his neck wasn't quite as strong as I thought) and that was partly why he was pissy about being up there. One day, I tried again and he was fine! Trust your instincts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Trust your instincts
Thanks for your responses sharing experience and the wise advice--it hit me like the most brilliant thing I had heard all day!! I was a little shocked that I needed reminding to trust myself, but with so many well-argued, great sounding, and conflicting opinions flying around this world it is easy for me to lose track of what works for my happy little family!! back on track...

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Alot of the stuff about not facing out was written with baby bjorn type carriers in mind not for slings.

BTW DS went through the same phase at 4-6 months aswell (noticing a pattern.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think facing out in a suspended position is bad for babies, but not in a sling or even a mei tai (where they are sitting into it, not being suspended from the crotch).

Have you tried the hip carry position with your pouch? It's not a snuggly as the tummy to tummy and he'll have a pretty good view.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My dd is 2 months old and is also struggling to face out. What kind of carrier is best for a younger baby who wants to see the world?

(For the record, I have a mama-made mei tai, a Maya ring sling, a Rockin' Baby pouch and a Moby that i've never used and don't particularly like. I wouldn't mind being told to buy a new sling though...
)

·
Registered
116 Posts
When my DS was that age, the ring sling facing out was our best bet. Now if he wants to face out, it's usually in the wrap, making sure he's in a seated position and not hanging. The MT works really well though too for facing out.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
My dd is 2 months old and is also struggling to face out. What kind of carrier is best for a younger baby who wants to see the world?

(For the record, I have a mama-made mei tai, a Maya ring sling, a Rockin' Baby pouch and a Moby that i've never used and don't particularly like. I wouldn't mind being told to buy a new sling though...
)
I have a fleece pouch and do the kangaroo carry, she's 2 weeks younger than your DS...no tummy to tummy anymore unless she wants to sleep *sigh*

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hi not really sure which carrier would be best cos there are so many different slings/carriers out there, the 2 i used were baby bjorn and tomy 3 way carrier. I think some lo's do like to be faceing outward when they get older its so they can see whats going on around them i know my ds cameron and dd caitlin did.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I guess I must be blessed to have gone through the stage where my dd wants to face out without any trouble. She had always prefered the cradle but about 4 months wanted to be looking out. So I kangaroo carried her or put her in my Moby (facing in) and that didn't seem to bother her much. I always felt that she could see just fine and so didn't need to have her ff.

I'm so loving my fleece Hotslings pouch and ERGO carrier now and have since she was about 8 months old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.