Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously bought FOE that was shiny on one side and flat on the other and it dyed like a dream. Recently I bought a roll of FOE from sewingsupplycoop which is flat on both sides...I dyed it Navy Blue (using the same dye I had previously used on the other elastic with great results) and it dyed the elastic but left the stretchy parts on the underside and edge an ugly grey sweat sock colour.<br><br>
Does anyone know if this is just the way this elastic dyes or did I do something wrong? I am making Halloween covers but I don't know if I want to use this stuff because I don't like the grey line on the edge...and it would look stupid if I just left the elastic white...ugh!<br><br>
The actual elastic looks fine and I think I would love it if it dyed as well as the old stuff!<br><br>
Steph

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
It's just that elastic. All FOE is different if it's made by a diff. co. I have some that's shiny on both sides and dyes very well with RIT, but won't take procion dyes at all(an overnight soak in procion dye just made it pastel).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm assuming you did use rit. I have this FOE - from the same coop. The 5/8" is shiny and dyes beautifully but the 1" doesn't and that's because the elastic portions don't dye as the previous poster mentioned and there is more exposed elastic in this FOE. I do believe this is the same FOE that birch street sells. The underside is striped like, right? I didn't mind the way it looked, albeit not as pretty as my thinner stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought the same FOE but I haven't dyed it yet. Has anyone tried dying it a pastel colour? This isn't exactly the news I wanted to hear. I bought a whole roll and was intending to dye most of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts