Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching going GF for DSs sensory integration disorder ... my question is, for those who are GF free for Autism, SID or behavioral issues, are you are serious/strict as people who are on it for Celiac? I know a friends DD has celiac and she cant have play-doh, lip gloss, she has to have restaurant meals made in specifically clean bowls with designated utensils, etc etc. Is it necessary to be that strict (for lack of a better word) when you are doing GF for reasons other than celiac?

hope this doesnt offend anyone. I am just starting out on this and just beginning to learn!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hmmm..... I am Celiac and so am GF strict. However, I am reading Jenny McCarthy's book about her son with autism and she seems to be pretty darn strict about it. I would think that you have to be just as careful about it because once the gluten is in your system in any amount it seems to be difficult to get it out. She went totally GF and dairy free from what I am reading.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
As a kiddo with gluten allergies, IMO you need to completely isolate all sources of gluten. Any exposure contaminates them. The same rules would apply to the Autism diet... since they suspect the gluten proteins cause the reactions.

But from what I understand, it's not only gluten, but casein as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.