Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make their own yogurt? I tried my first-ever batch of homemade yogurt yesterday, and it tastes yummy, but has a "gluey" texture...eeeeew.<br><br>
I used milk, powdered milk, and yogurt from the store as starter. Mixed it all and put it on a heating pad on low overnight. I realize there are LOTS of variables here, but does anyone have an idea what might cause such a yucky texture?<br><br>
Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not sure what caused the texture, but I have found that the longer it takes to set up, the worse the texture. The creamiest we have found is when it takes only 4-5 hours to set up.<br><br>
Here's what I do:<br>
1 gal milk, 2.75 cup powdered non-fat dry milk, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vanilla or 1 vanilla bean split and 1 cup (8oz) plain yogurt for the starter.<br><br>
Heat the milk, powdered milk, sugar and vanilla to almost boiling. While doing that, heat the plain yogurt to 110 degrees (I use the microwave for that). When the milk is almost boiling, quickly cool it down to 110 by putting it in the sink with ice water. Then add the starter slowly and stir well. Then seperate into containers.<br><br>
Then I put it in the stove with the light on. I use a food thermometer to make sure the temp stays right around 110. If it seems to be getting too cool, put it on at 350 for about 15 seconds. Make sure that the stove isn't on for very long or you will over heat the yogurt and kill the bateria.<br><br>
As for the yogurt starter, I have found that in regular stores, dannon is the best, but if you have a trader joe's nearby, they have plain yogurt that has always worked for us.<br><br>
Good luck!<br>
Nicole

·
Registered
900 Posts
that sounds like fun. We have a couple of packs of yougurt started from a health food store. it is packs that are stored in the freezer until you are ready to use them. i bought them because I wanted to try to make yougurt for my baby with my breastmilk. i never got around to trying it. but i'd still like to make regular yougurt. They have a website on the back of the box (<a href="http://www.lyo-san.ca" target="_blank">www.lyo-san.ca</a>) just thought i would pass on that info.<br><br>
do you have to have a candy thermometer to do it right?<br><br><br>
-melissa

·
Registered
279 Posts
I never heard of using powdered milk??<br><br>
This is how I would make it:<br><br>
Heat 1 qt of whole milk in a stainless steel pot on med heat, watch very carefully so it doesn't boil over. You want it to boil, but as soon as it comes to a boil shut it off and let cool a bit. When it is lukewarm temp, or a little warmer than lukewarm, add a tablespoon of yogurt culture** and stir a couple of times. Then, cover the pot, wrap a dish cloth snuggly around the sides of the pot, and store it in your oven overnight. I'm not sure exactly how many hours, but if you make it in the late evening, it will be ready early the next morning.<br><br><br>
**If you are using store bought culture, I suggest using whole milk yogurt. The store bought WILL create a gummy texture at first, but if you use the culture from the first batch that you make to make a second bath, the less gummy it will be. So, you will need to make several batches before you get really good, creamy yogurt that is not gummy. The other option of course is to find someone who has been making yogurt and use their culture.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've found that if I don't incubate it at the right temperature, or if I let it go for more than about 3 hours, it gets a weird texture.<br><br>
In the past, what I've done is heated my milk, mixed some of it with the powdered milk (if I used it), then added the yogurt/starter to the stuff with the powdered milk. Pour it into a couple quart jars or old yogurt containers. While the milk is heating, I bring some water up to about 150° or so, then pour it into a drink cooler to heat it up. Once you have your yogurt in its containers, put them in the cooler & cover. You want to incubate between 100-115°, I think, and I let it go for a max of three hours. Take it out & chill overnight, & yum!<br><br>
I think I'm going to have to make some yogurt this week!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts