Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for yarn at a local store today to make some picky pants, and got very confused.
My question is:
DO I NEED WOOL THAT STILL HAS LANOLIN IN IT FOR PANTS IF I AM USING THEM AS A DIAPER COVER?

I was looking at Lamb's Pride and the store owner told me that she doesn't carry any wool that still has lanolin in it. She tried to steer me to washable wool to make the pants.
I need something SOFT for my little guy, because he has sensitive skin. The only wool that the pattern recommended that she had a sample of was texas big horn, and that felt very scrathchy.
i'm just not sure what yarn to use now!
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just use wool yarn, the lanolin you do by lanolizing it yourself anyways.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I personally stay away from superwash because of what they treat the wool with. Less processed yarn (like Peace Fleece, for example) has a lot of lanolin naturally in it, but the more a yarn is processed, the more lanolin that seems to be stripped out of it.

You do add lanolin back in when you wash it with a good quality wool wash that has lanolin in it or some other lanolizing method (like using Lansinoh), but I'm not sure if some wool yarns accept the lanolin back in better then others. Maybe someone with experience in this could chime in!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much!
i have used wool covers a ton, so i know about adding the lanolin back.
is peace fleece very soft?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
peace fleece is not so soft, it's ok, but if your guy is sensitive the mohair may well bug him.

any yarn that is at least 50% wool, hopefully more, best would be over 85% wool will work, lambs pride is fine. superwash yarns are not so great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
100purewool (sold on ebay and in co-ops) is the softest I've found in a reasonable price range (under $10 for a generous skein/hank). The colorways are gorgeous, too! At your local yarn shop, I'd go with Cascade 220.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
100purewool is very nice, but the shipping is high and the colors aren't always accurate.

My favorite is Blackberry Ridge merino. It's soft, but thicker than 1 ply merinos and you get more yardage (BBR has about 250 yrds). It's also more durable and is great for overnight. Wooly Wonders by Nada can custom dye it for you ($12 a skein) or you can get it natural. They have amazing colorways.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
LTK farm yarn. BFL, Blackberry Ridge and Irish Baby knits are all good choices.

You don't need yarn that still has lanolin in it. But I would avoid anything with mohair.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieSqrl
100purewool (sold on ebay and in co-ops) is the softest I've found in a reasonable price range (under $10 for a generous skein/hank). The colorways are gorgeous, too! At your local yarn shop, I'd go with Cascade 220.
Just beware: Cascade 220 is pretty thin. I'm knitting picky pants with it now to give it a try, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Cascade 220, 100 purewool and several others are a light worsted weight. They'll work but if you have a supersoaker I wouldn't go there.lol Especially NOT for overnight.

I use LTK farm yarn, Targhee, BFL, Blackberry Ridge are heavier worsted weight. Irish Baby Knits has a couple merino blends that are hevy worsted also. Her pengrine merino- heavenly to knit.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering some Galenas Merino from Irish Baby Knits.. would that work well for longies? I am just drooling over her yarns....

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
The galenas is heavenly, but like HPY, 100purewool, etc it is a light worsted. Might not be enough for overnight, car trips, heavy wetter, etc

Her peregrine is WONDERFUL. It reminds me a lot of BBR. Also, I'm knitting a pair with the lindon merino right now and omg, it is soooo soft and pretty and looks fabulous knitted up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Honestly, the LTK farm yarn has given me the most bang for my buck. Her farm recently changed the blend to include a bit of merino IIRC, and it's heaven. that one little change has made it my favorite yarn. I can wash it in the washer, it holds up great and my kids can wear it outside ( and my kids are *hard* on clothes0 and not ruin it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think it's hard to find wool that is minimally processed and retains lanolin. there are only two places i buy yarn from, both small farms with limited production, where the yarn seems to retain the lanolin, even though you buy a lot of yarn that makes that claim.

does danica still sell her yarn buddies? the fizzies you dissolved to lanolize longies? i used to really like them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Danica sold the soap deck, but they still carry wool buddies over there. They also carry them at emibeans. They are wonderful!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts