Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somewhere I picked up an idea that I remember every time I choose vegies. Is it true?

It was: don't bother with orgnaic, because with organic you get no chemcials but more bacteria. with conventional, you get the pesticides, but they kill off the bacteria.

Have you heard this? is there more to it than that?

PS- we're not usually organic, but do lots of whole foods and minimal meat. we're trying to do better and choosing what changes to make now.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
It's like antibacterial soap. They're finding that sterilizing yourself and your environment too much weakens your immune system because it gets "out of practice," as it were. It's HEALTHY to get a certain amount of "stuff" with your food. Some of it is good flora and trace minerals from the soil that your body needs, some of it is just small doses of bacteria that keep your immune system in fighting shape.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think it's not so much the "bacteria" but the type of furtilizer needed in organic farming...organic furtilizer or manuer. It's really important that you wash your fruits and vegetables organic or not. It's especially important with organic where they are using manuer as a fertilizer. There have been instances where people have gotten ecoli from organic foods not washed properly. It's the same reason you should wash your hands after you use the bathroom. Is it a good enough reason to stay away from organic? I don't think so. Organic is so much more than just pesticide/herbicide free, it's taking better care of the environment and treating animals with more kindness and respect.

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Pesticides are used to kill insects, fungal plant diseases, or weed plants. I can't think of a one that is an anti-bacterial. Organic manure fertilizer should not be full of disease-causing bacteria because it needs to be composted before spreading -- fresh manure burns roots. There are millions of bacteria in healthy soil but they are usually about soil breakdown, not disease-causing in humans.

(Also you can wash off some pesticides.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.