Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find info about selling homemade food items? I'm wondering how complex the regulations are. I'm in Ohio and have searched the state's site under business development but can't find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey Stacey - I'm in Ohio too! I looked up a ton of regs & actually spoke with the department of agriculture about the cottage food industry for my mil. It depends on what food you are making/selling. You can call your local dept of agriculture to ask but if you google Ohio cottage food licensing you can find the actual info sheets. As long as you fall into those categories (food doesn't need refrigerated, certain canned goods, etc.) you don't need to register but you do have to follow specific labelling requirements. What do you make? Do I want any???

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, thank you so much, Jennifer! I had found some info that I think must be out of date. It had said that I would need to contact the Health Dept but I didn't see anything remotely related on the Health Dept website. I've considered trying to sell homemade jams/jellies/preserves as well as possibly homemade ginger ale & root beer. I'm a long way from establishing a business and just wondered whether it is even something I should consider or if the regs would make it too difficult. Off to do some research now . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.