Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont really know too much about them. DH is getting a vasectomy. I feel broken enough after 2 c-sections, I think having my tubes tied would be emotionally really hard for me. But I am just curious - in the other thread about birth control several people mentioned horror stories and bad side effects etc of having your tubes tied... like what? I am just curious.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't know too much about them. I know that of all the women I know that had really heavy and painful periods got their tubes tied and then their periods got worse.
Also, it's a major surgery, where as the vasectomy is an in office procedure- much less recovery time and also easier to reverse if you ever change your mind down the road.

I see you are planning a home birth-- I hope it is a wonderful healing experience for you! Do you have a Doula as well? It might help- even if you're having a home birth.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet but I am looking into getting one who can also take photos for me... I havent really made that decision yet as my midwife has an assistant so we are already talking about 3 people plus me at the birth and I can see myself wanting to be alone... I dont know. We'll see!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The only knowledge I have is from my mother. She had the prodecure done when I was 13-14. For her it was an outpatient thing. They just made a cut into her belly button snipped her tubes and put in a couple of stitches. She was home that afternoon. I don't remember her ever saying her periods got worse after, and I know she had some nasty cramps and such before having it done.

·
Registered
295 Posts
theres a theory that having the fallopian tubes cut can cut off blood supply to the ovaries causing them to atrophy and have a brood spectrum of hormonal problems and contributing to ovarian cysts (if I remember right)

I dont know if I personally believe this theory as the fallopian tubes are independent of the ovaries, but its sufficiently scarey stuff to at least heavily weigh it
its generally referred to as post tubal ligation syndrome

Ive known women that had very crampy periods after from tubal scarring/banding and women (like my mother) who have had no problems at all from having one ovary removed and the opposite fallopian tube removed due to heavy cysts.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
I dont really know too much about them. DH is getting a vasectomy. I feel broken enough after 2 c-sections, I think having my tubes tied would be emotionally really hard for me. But I am just curious - in the other thread about birth control several people mentioned horror stories and bad side effects etc of having your tubes tied... like what? I am just curious.
If it wasnt for the fact that I am DONE DONE DONE after this one, Do not want to ever be pregnant again or have another surgical birth and have a uterine deformity (I think I've pushed the limit) I would NOT have my tubes tied. However I am. But I know mine is only for a short time because after this next baby is weaned I am getting a hysterectomy.
I am not hip on tubals. I've yet to meet someone who has a great experience. Most people regret them, have post partum problems, heavy periods, worse cramping, tubal pregnancies (had a friend just go through this and it was very traumatic), and a spectrum of other problems.
My husband has refused to have a vasectomy, it has its own set of complications, and I don't blame him. Since I am 110% sure that five kids are enough and that I never ever want to be pregnant again I decided to have it done during my csection. I feel good about my decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.