Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 y/o daugher does not go to preschool as she doesn't qualify for special day classes due to testing at a 4 y/o level cognitively. I run a playgroup and she see's children her age a couple of times a week. My question is if it's typical for her to not socialize with the other kids? Anika has always been very social and although she has some sensory integration issues she's never been defensive against people. She seems to still parallel play while the other kids her age seem to be associating with each other. When she was in her EI preschool last year, her OT told me that she played with the kids during free time often- and they used her as a model for the others. Did she lose a skill? Or is this typical? What do you think?

·
Registered
73 Posts
3 year olds baffel me completely and I have met few (including my own) that I can ever fully figure out!

I think social skills ebb and flow at this age....My little guy is nearly 4 but developmentally delayed by 10 months overall and I have seen his 3 year old behaviors emege a lot lately.... One moment he is very interactive with other child and the next thing he is demanding that someone "Stop Looking at Me" while he enters his own Imaginary world.

I would not get too worried at this point and I don't think it is typical to "Lose" a social skill I think it is very typical for our kids to have times of development which appear to be regression. I would just continue to watch at the play groups and see if things keep looking like it seems to be resgression.... But I suspect that what you are seeing might be some more independant play emerging which is REALLY a healthy development and it is likely that your 3 year old will return to socializing more and more....

I hope that made some kind of sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did make sense. Thanks for your thoughts Anna

I am usually caught up in Anika's medical issues ,and she's always done so well cognitively & socially that it kind of freaked me out to see her behavior change. I'll keep an eye on her and hope that it's a phase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.