Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question I'm hoping to get answered!! Sol just had baby girl and mom had a reaction to the lanolin. I was given the suggestion for her to use vitamin e, which she did and she healed well. The lc at her hosp told her the vitamin e can cause an overproduction of blood in the baby. Does anyone have any info about this that I could share with her? Shels now using olive oil as a substitute.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
do you think it would be of after you nurse? That would give it time to soak in, or would you still have the ingestion problem? I'm subbing, I'm allergic to lanolin (last I checked) and am looking for something for when this LO is born.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would suggest hand-expressing a small amount of milk, and rubbing it around the nipple area, then let it air dry. Most mothers are really surprised at how effective this "treatment" is!

In the book "The Breastfeeding Answer Book", it states that some studies have found that the blood levels of vit E rose in healthy full-term infants, but not out of the normal range. It also states that vit E can cause skin reactions in the mother. "Although vitamin E almost never produces allergic reactions when swallowed, vitamin E preparations used to treat burns have been found to produce contact dermatitis and hives in some individuals (Fisher 1986; Aelin 1973; Minkin 1973; Brodkin 1965). A product less likely to cause skin reactions would be a better choice for use on the nipples."

HTH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.