Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds had one tooth removed back in January after it abcessed from a fall. Now, there is another abscess above the tooth next to it (removed tooth) and he has has two fevers in the past week and a half - both 104 degrees. He has an appointment for it to be looked at on Monday, but seeing that he has a high fever tonight I am calling in the morning to find out if the fevers are related to the infection.<br>
MY question is - How serious is this? Are the fevers related to the abscess? Thanks

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Absesses are infections so yes, the fever is most likely related to the absess. When my dd had an absess, I could barely see it, but she had fever and her upper lip swelled. The dentist took her in immediately and gave her antibiotics. I am not keen on antibiotics, but was nervous about the infection going systemic so we gave them to her and removed the teeth a week later. He scared me with talk about the infection traveling thru the sinus cavities and advised to take her to an ER if I noticed swelling around her eyes. It can be quite serious, so the infection/absess needs careful watch and treatment of some sort. One mama used clove oil. Smilemomma talks about this in the archives. I definitely think it is a good idea to get an appt. asap. Removal of the tooth is not always necessary. You might try a search for absess which will give you a lot of info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts