Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for a friend -- she just had her second baby and is struggling with BFing.

With her first, she had latch troubles and decided not to nurse. She pumped for her fellow for 10 weeks and then switched to formula.

After this second fellow came, she was so happy that the nursing seemed to be going better and was very brave about cracked nipples and bleeding in the first week. She tried to give her hurting boob a break by pumping on it and letting baby nurse on the better side. But then the bleeding got worse and she had a lactation consultant come, who said she had an absces in the breast. This woman told her the only way to fix the baby's latch so that he wouldn't cause such harm was to clip something on his tongue!!!!!! (This sounds completely ridiculous to me but I am on the other side of the country and can't be much help.) So she decided to stop nursing and just pump for eight weeks.

But then the other breast started hurting and she discovered she had an abscess there too.

Has anyone else experienced this? And what did you do to keep up your supply (esp those who pumped) while still helping breast to heal?

She is only pumping and not putting the baby on the breast anymore. You can include advice about that if you want, though I think her mind is made up on that score.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Clipping the frenulum is a pretty common procedure to take care of tongue tie and really not very painful...and it can often make the difference between a good latch and an awful one.

I don't have any experience with absesses, though I do think (as you seem to anticipate) that many moms would have trouble keeping up a full supply by pumping only. Did her milk come in fully before going to pumping? If so, that should make a positive difference. I'd also be drinking Mother's Milk tea.

Good luck to her

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I EP, and have been doing so for 9 months now. I have no undersupply issues, just over supply issues. I made about 75+ oz a day until a month ago when I developed plugged ducts for the umteenth time, and mastitis and an abcess for the first time. So I have been working on lowering my supply so I don't have to deal with oversupply issues anymore.

Tips I can offer, is to pump regularly. Every 2-3 hours around the clock. Never go more than 3 hours until you are atleast 5 months post-partum. Then you can let yourself have a 5 hour stretch of sleep at night if you choose. (I chose not to, I am paranoid about loosing too much milk) Even if she makes a lot more milk than she needs, I suggest not decreasing her supply until baby is on solids. From what other EPers tell me, it is extremely difficult to get your supply back if you let it drop.

If pumping 10-12 times does not yeild enough milk, there are ways to increase supply. She can power pump. (10 mins on, 10 mins off, repeat for an hour, a few times a day for 3 days) Eating oatmeal will help her increase supply. There are herbs, tea's and meds to help increase supply.

I hope she chooses to try to get baby on the breast. EPing is a long, difficult road. Many moms brun out by 3-6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts