Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SIL is 21 weeks pregnant and she was told by the doctor today that they think her baby doesn't have a stomach. She is freaking out obviously. They are sending her to a bigger hospital for a higher level ultrasound as soon as they can get her in. Has anyone been told their baby might have it but they didn't upon further investigation? Or has anyone's baby had this but the baby lived? Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Wow, that sounds really scary! I have no info, but I'll give your thread a

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
The stomach is usually only seen on ultrasound because it's functioning - ie the baby swallows and there is fluid in the stomach to see. If the stomach is empty and the baby doesn't swallow during the exam, it will look like the stomach isn't there at all. It's possible that they will see it on ultrasound next time. Or, it could be that the baby isn't swallowing fluid - a different problem that also makes the stomach invisible.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Apricot. I did a little research and it seems that the issue would probably be that the esophagus doesn't connect to the stomach so no fluid is being swallowed into the stomach. The research I found says 90% will survive if there are no other abnormalities. Everything else looks good on the ultrasounds she's had so far. Hopefully it will just be nothing and they will see it next time but if not we are still hopeful the little Collin (the baby is a boy!) will be alright.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
No advice at all, just
and best wishes for her that the better ultrasound will show that the babe is just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.