Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is anyone else out there?
I work part time 32 hours a week outside the home and dh works from home so he is the primary caregiver for our dd for that time.
Anyone else? I feel our situation is unique and works out perfectly for us. Anyone else?

·
Registered
365 Posts
My husband has been a part-time SAHD since dd1 was born. He has always stayed home in the morning and worked in the afternoon. Dd1 was in daycare in the afternoons until she was 18 months, when I started working 6am-12:30, and Dh works 1-6. It works really well for us. He is a better SAH parent than I am, I think - more creative and just has more energy than I do. He even did some childcare for our friends' child for a year!
I think that some people think that we are strange for both working part-time, but it works for us. Now that dd2 has come along there is no way we could afford childcare for 2 even if we wanted to!

·
Registered
681 Posts
My DH has been a SAHD since our DD was born 6 years ago. Actually there are quite a few of us here. You might try a search on this forum not that that feature is working again.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My DH was a SAHD until DS was 18 months old. He had to go back to work because we had only planned for him to be home 6 months and we were out of $$. He liked it and wouldn't trade the experience for anything but he was also very ready to start making money for the family again. It worked out well for us and I wish I could convince DH to do it again someday but I don't think he will. He's really into his career now which is a good thing too. Maybe next time I'll be the one to stay home.
That reminds me -- alot of women with SAHDs seem to be jealous of their DHs. It never occurred to me to be jealous. I was just happy DS was home with his Daddy instead of in daycare, kwim?

Kim

·
Registered
190 Posts
My husband is a full-time SAHD. I make for more than he did, so it made sense that I'd work. He's been staying home shortly before DD2 came. Day care is too freaking expensive for 2+ kids. So he's a SAHD for at least another 2 years.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My DH just became a SAHD this month, as our daycare was shut down for taking on too many kids. It has been a learning experience for him, but one he has embraced and is doing a GREAT job at! Right now he's at home stripping barfed on slip covers of the sofas and taking care of our sick little one. We are not sure how long he'll be staying home with DS, but probably until November, when there are some daycare spots opening up and/or I can leave my full time job behind me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
yeah!
i'm here, i work in the day and then dh works at night as a restaurant.

they call their days "buddy days"

my brother was a SAHD for 3 years

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My dh has been the SAHP since our first child was born, nearly 4 years ago. He voluntarily quit his job (a good job!) to stay at home because he wanted to and because I make more money than he did and my prospects career-wise are better than his for the area we currently live in. In fact, when he brought up the idea of having children with me, I said I did not want to do the daycare thing and he immediately replied "I'll stay home."
We now have two girls, ages 3.5 and 20 months. When I was breastfeeding (*well, I still am, but when I had to breastfeed frequently) he brought the baby to my office and I nursed her on my breaks and lunch hour.

He loves being the at-home parent and I am lovign this lifestyle! (I did the daycare routine in my previous marriage and one child.) Of course, the girls don't know any different. I'm waiting for the day when they ask one of their playmates, "Where is your daddy? And why is your mom home all the time?"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dh just became a SAHD this week!!! he graduated with his masters in May, and wrapped up a couple projects he was working on! and hasn't found 'the perfect job' yet. So I started picking up full time hours (before I was working an average of about 20hrs a week)!
Our situation is just a temp. one, but I'm enjoying it so far.

·
Registered
399 Posts
yep, i work f/t and DH is SAHD. he loves it. he's great at it. he's a musician, so he works nights/weekends and our situation just works really well. he's made clear he is not/will never be a 9-5er and i will likely always be the breadwinner. that is cool with me. he's too much of a free spirit and i am able to make enough to support the fam so i consider us all blessed. i do miss my babe during the days, but DH really does a fabulous job.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
There are lots of WOHMs with SAHDs here.

My DH is a SAHD and has been for more than four years. Before that we worked alternate shifts and before that I was home with DD for a year. He just recently took a PT job working evenings and weekends. We just bought a house and everything seemed to be more expensive than we budgeted for, so we needed a little extra $$. He is still the primary care giver, though, and still a SAHD as far as we are concerned.

As a kid, my dad was a SAHD for three and a half years, when I was in 2nd-5th grades. It was great, my brother and I loved it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi there,

My dh is home 3 days a week and our kids are in dc twice a week.

I work fulltime and he works part time.

It works for us financially as well as personality wise. We are also planning on homeschooling in the future and both of us will do that.

It is very hard for us sometimes because I miss being home and feel guilty about missing things with my kids. But it is what works for our family. Winning the lottery is really the only other option. And that does not seem to want to come through for us

·
Registered
714 Posts
I stayed home with my boys and when we moved in January, I became the working parent and my dh is staying home with the kids. I LOVE it!!

I really enjoyed the 4 1/2 years of being a SAHM (Although it got lonely sometimes, I really believed it was for the best!)

After we moved my dh kept working p/t from home for his employer at the time (Hes a Graphic Designer) and I went back to work after 5 years out of the workforce, yikes!

Dh was laid off in May and is collecting unemployment while he works on getting enough side clients through freelancing, that when his UE stops, we can still survive.

I landed a really good job last month with great pay and lots of potential and I love what I do (Accounting) Plus I have a side business doing books for small businesses that I hope to grow enough to do full time.

DH LOVES being home with the boys and I am so glad we were able to work it so he got to experience that as well. I love being out of the house and finaly getting to work on *me* after all these years. Was really feeling like all I was, was a mom!! (Which isnt a bad thing, except when your entire identity gets absorbed by little people!!!)

I think looking back, ideally, each of us working part-time from the start would have been a great fit. But he made so much more than me, it didnt make sense at the time.

IF we have another (Big if,
) dh will be the SAHD with that one from the get go (He can finally see just exactly what I had to go through, big difference being a SAHM to infants, vs a 5 and 2 year old!!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My husband is a stay-at-home dad during the school year (I teach at the state University). He has his own chimney sweep business, and does it during the summer and during the weekends and my day off (Tuesday). It works out really well for us -- we're lucky to both have time with the kids. I admit -- I think I have it easier, being off during the summer. The winters are long in Maine, and he often feels isolated and at his wits end come Springtime. I head back to the University at the end of this month, and he will have all three kids starting then -- I'm a little nervous (as is he!).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, we've been doing it for about 5 years. DH is a SAHD fulltime and I work fulltime. It has had its bumps along the way but it works pretty well for us. I have to admit DH is feeling more and more pressure of not having the career he was trained for as he gets older. He absolutely adores our girls and is a fantastic parent to them, but he is definitely feeling a void where his career asperations once were. And he would have to basically get a second masters to work in his field in this state, which he find difficult to swallow now that we have three kids, three college educations to save for etc.

I believe parenting as partners is a hard balance no matter how you try to strike it though. We've really put a lot of effort into making this arrangement work for everybody, and a lot of times it does, but there are many times it falls short for one or both of us. I think that's the nature of raising children though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
pemja - We are also in Maine, maybe the dh's should have a play date

My dh suffers a bit more because we only have one vehicle right now and I use it for work. (I should mention I spent over 2 of the 4 I SAHM without a vehicle because he worked) I know how he feels come the weekend, he go out and has a little "me" time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I went back to school on my dd first birthday. DH has been home ever since. Well it's only been six months. I'll be done on Thursday and I'm looking for full time work. It works really really well. My DD is still nursing so it I don't feel guilty about being away from her, like I thought I would. Dh really understands how busy it is for the SAHP! It totally opened his eyes! He is so great! The kids are happy and the house is so clean. Way more then I ever did when I was home
I hope to find a job that we can live off of.

I hate the judgement that we get when we tell someone that he stays home and I work. Do you all get that? If it works and I'm not bitching why do they care?
:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts