Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://theconversation.com/no-vax-...lready-protected-against-whooping-cough-59374

While there’s no evidence that No Vax, No Visit will offer any additional protection for the newborn, there is evidence that social isolation can lead to postnatal depression. This is particularly important when we consider one in seven new mothers in Australia experiences postnatal depression.

Support for new parents is most needed during the newborn’s first few weeks of life. If new parents don’t have any visitors and are too scared to go out into the world with their newborn, what effect will this have on the family’s wellbeing?

So, what else can parents do to protect their newborn before the six-week vaccination if mum was vaccinated during pregnancy, and dad, siblings and grandparents are all up to date with their vaccines? Ask visitors to postpone their visit if they are sick, and hand-washing before cuddles is essential.

With all this in place, there’s little or no extra benefit from No Vax, No Visit.
Note...if you read the facebook comments on this, most of the posters have decried this as "anti-vax propaganda," and have accused the researchers (all in Immunisation Research & Surveillance and Public Health) as "anti-vax" supporters. Just goes to show, you cannot write an article critical of vaccination policy in this country without the public (and often the media) accusing you of having an "anti-vax" viewpoint. Even if you work in Public Health and Immunisation Research I suppose.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Another example of putting the vaccine program ahead of all other possible needs and concerns?

Also, neither in the article, nor in the first 30 or so comments, did anyone mention the problem of vaccinated carriers of pertussis. Isn't that a bit weird?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another example of putting the vaccine program ahead of all other possible needs and concerns?

Also, neither in the article, nor in the first 30 or so comments, did anyone mention the problem of vaccinated carriers of pertussis. Isn't that a bit weird?
Yeah, I think there's a lot of faith in the general public regarding cocooning. Unfortunately, faith will not work to limit the carriage and transmission of pertussis bacteria.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Yeah, I think there's a lot of faith in the general public regarding cocooning. Unfortunately, faith will not work to limit the carriage and transmission of pertussis bacteria.
Which provoked a paranoid thought. Perhaps they want some cracks in the cocoon so there is someone to blame when the inevitable newborns with pertussis crop up?:eek:

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The flimsy evidence favoring cocooning is what I found most interesting.

It's interesting that the author of this is worried about maternal post-partum isolation. It signals a lot of hesitance among adults to comply with the TDaP request.

I've only had one acquaintance declare this household policy. I just messaged her politely that I would not be getting the vaccine and offered to bring over dinner. She messaged back and accepted. Apparently she wasn't worried about me handling her food. :Sheepish (I didn't tell her that, though. Snark is counter-productive).

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
The flimsy evidence favoring cocooning is what I found most interesting.

It's interesting that the author of this is worried about maternal post-partum isolation. It signals a lot of hesitance among adults to comply with the TDaP request.

I've only had one acquaintance declare this household policy. I just messaged her politely that I would not be getting the vaccine and offered to bring over dinner. She messaged back and accepted. Apparently she wasn't worried about me handling her food. :Sheepish (I didn't tell her that, though. Snark is counter-productive).
Can pertussis be shared via a casserole? Even if you had it and coughed on it?

You are right, snark is counter-productive.

I was told by a nurse that this particular vaccine is quite painful and I guess she has had more than the average number of doses of various vaccines as an adult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts