Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I just had my second child in August. I was planning on continuing working, even though I stayed at home with my first for 2 years. This second pregnancy was unplanned (though we were thrilled!). I have been at this post-doc for a year and a half and returned to work post-partum in September. Frankly, it's not going well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My heart is simply at home with my kiddos. DH tries so hard but he really isn't cut out for this SAHD thing! I am having trouble balancing work and family and I simply just don't really care for my career right now, I am discovering academia just isn't for me. I have gotten no results in my project in a year of research! I doubt my advisor will even miss it that much when I am not in the lab anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The catch is that DH is unemployed. I can't quit until he finds work. It could be next week, it could be months from now. So can someone tell me, what is the ettiquite for quitting a post-doc in this situation? Do I tell my advisor now that I plan on quitting when DH finds work or wait until DH actually finds a job? How much notice is appropriate? A month? 2 months? 2 weeks?</p>

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
<p>I just quit my postdoc after going into industry. I stayed through part time until my paper was written and submitted (I have to resubmit, but that's a different story) then gave 2 weeks notice.</p>
<p>I did not tell my advisor while I was looking for a job that I didn't want to stay in academia, I felt that as long as I wasn't shortchanging the lab because I was not going to stay it wasn't his business what my long term plans were.</p>
<p>as long as you're not going to screw the lab over by leaving suddenly I don't see the harm in keeping your plans to yourself for now. it depends on your relationship with your advisor though.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts