Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much access to craft supplies do your DC have? I really want DD to do crafts whenever she feels the urge but can't help but think of all the mess.
We are HSing and are just going to see what works and then build from there when she is older. (she's 6 in Dec) Right now she has access to paper, color books, markers, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, stickers, glue, tape, those foam things, scissors, various stuff like that. Put up higher are the paints, the sewing, more messy stuff.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
DD 7yo has various coloring tools, beads, fabric scraps, felt, and boxed projects from the craft store she received for her bday.
DD 4.5 has playdough, paints (tempera and watercolor) kid safe scissors, foam stickies, and the rest of the usual assortment.
And suprisingly, I don't have huge messes to deal with on a regular basis. They don't paint every day, or use the play doh. Only about every 2 weeks do things get messy. I attribute this to the items being available enough that they don't want to use them as often. When they were younger I would also let them fingerpaint in the bathtub- thats easy cleanup

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
They have access to everything we have--paints, glitter, glue, foam, markers/pencils/crayons, clay, etc. etc.

My dd was into crafts from an early age and it was just easier to have it accessable. My youngest is six and is going through a crafty phase right now.

I've always just thought, "messes happen" and we deal with them as they come. Although, we've talked about what it is they're using, what's washable, what might stain, etc. For instance, if one was about to drag out fabric paint while wearing their favorite shirt in the whole wide world, I'd mention that that paint doesn't wash out and suggest that they change clothes--or I've explained how some clays won't come off of the furniture and ask that they don't use it on the couch--stuff like that. But most of our paints and glues wash off, and everything else sweeps/vacs up. We haven't had any disasters.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
We try to discourage the two year old from the sharpies. But that's about it. We've got a huge number of craft supplies and science supplies. Yup, I spend waaaay too much time cleaning up, but we have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 2-year-old daughter has access to everything she is allowed to play with. This includes paints, colored pencils, crayons, paper, playdough, glue, crafty things like feathers, sticks, and misc. items that were headed for recycling, such as egg cartons. They are in open bins on shelves in her playroom (aka the bedroom she doesn't sleep in).

I show her how to use things responsibly, and then they are hers to use, pretty much whenever and however she wants to use them (unless we are getting close to bedtime, or going out).

The rules: she has to keep the messy projects in her room, and she has to put things away and wash her hands, etc., when she's done.

I pulled up the crappy carpet in her room, and painted the plywood with durable porch paint, so messes on the floor aren't a big deal.

I bought safety scissors for her, but I haven't introduced them yet.

Maybe I will change my tune when she is older, and the messes get bigger, but I think this approach works best for our personalities and parenting approach.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
We have free access to crayons, markers, paper, glue sticks, scissors, modleing beeswax, and colored pencils. The more exotic art materials
--paints, dough, clay, wiggle eyes, pipe cleaners, hole punchers, you name it--are either in the mud room or in a shoe holder behind the basement door. Still free access, but not so free the toddler can get to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.