Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
We went for our first ultrasound yesterday (at 18 1/2 weeks) and told the technician that we didn't want to know the sex. He assured us that we would not be able to tell. Dh though was pretty sure he was catching glimpses of a penis and then later when we got the photos there were three crotch shots! Now, it was difficult to tell, but most of the people we showed them to were like "Oh, so your having a boy!"
I'm actually not upset at knowing though now we need to decide whether we should ask our midwife to confirm it, or continue along being 85% sure. Either way we're happy everything looked normal, that it's healthy and that it's actually there (since I still haven't felt movement!).
Anyone else experience this problem while getting an ultrasound? This is our first and it's all been new to us.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
We got more of a butt shot than a crotch shot, but I KWYM.

I have heard that it can be really difficult for an "inexperienced" person to tell the difference between a penis and part of the umbilical cord. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I agree that pics of the umbilical cord can look like the penis. THey also take pics of that area because it's important to make sure that the umbilical cord is attached to the tummy where the belly button should be. I have a friend who didn't want to know what the baby was and thought she saw a penis on the u/s only to find out that it was a girl afterall!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I asked not to know with this one, and they did a major crotch shot measuring the femurs. The tech generally said "the baby" but then did say "he" once.

I thought it was a boy, but the further I get from the u/s the less sure I am...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts