Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I can't drink water or I get acid reflux and throw up the water. I tried lemon in water but that didn't help. I cut out acid type foods and drinking liquids with meals. I prop my body up at night. The only water I can keep down is sparkling water if I drink it during the day (not in the morning or at night) and only some days. The other day I felt better and downed 32 oz. of sparkling water in a few hours (but that is rare). I am throwing up more with acid reflux than I was when nauseous! Anyone else going through this? Any ideas I haven't tried? Tums doesn't work. I am really thirsty!</p>

·
Registered
166 Posts
<p>I would suggest that you have too low stomach acid.  I have had this problem before pregnancy.  You could try a glass of water with raw apple cider vinegar in it or really lemony water.  Or what about ice chips those might go down okay.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It sounds really horrible.  Sorry I don't have many idea's.  Try doing a good online search about low stomach acid leading to acid reflux. I know it is kind of counter-intuitive</p>

·
Registered
574 Posts
<p>Pregnancy causes decreased gastric motility, so transit is slow and stomach acid easily refluxes back up the esophagus. Water and any/all foods can be a problem. I also throw up water, and have difficulty sleeping at night due to the "burning" feeling. The ONLY thing that works for me is zantac, which is approved by many OB's during pregnancy. I take 150 mg twice per day, am and pm.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You do not want to become dehydrated b/cs it can lead to premature contractions. Personally, it's worth it to me to control the GERD w/ medication in order to maintain adequate nutrition and hydration.</p>

·
Registered
989 Posts
<p>DDDC - :) The minute I started eating low GI foods my heartburn and acid reflux went away. It was so horrible!!!  I had to change my diet because I was concerned about my blood sugar levels, and *bam* no heartburn. It was like magic. I wasn't eating crazy stuff before, in fact I was hardly eating, but my system apparently just started rejecting carbs and refined sugar.  I looked it up, and it seems that there is a correlation between heartburn and the inability to process carbs/sugar due to some kind of bacteria in the stomach. Cutting carbs and sugar and eating probiotics seemed to be some of the most offered suggestions. Maybe try cutting them out for a day or so and see if that helps? Hope you get some relief soon mama!</p>

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Thanks! I will look into all of those ideas! I will google low stomach acid. Also I agree with refined sugar irritating acid reflux. I had to turn down the yummy looking pie DH bought :( I have been taking Zantac at night and it helps. I didn't realize I could take it twice a day. I see my doctor tomorrow and am going to talk with her about medication.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I feel better today so I am doing a lot of cooking so my kids get a decent meal and I have things to eat for lunch at work. I hope that I am making a turn for the better!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts