Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have either acid reflux or an ulcer (had an ulcer before and thats how it feels).<br>
both med's dh brough home (pepcid ac and zantac) are listed in one of my books as something i cant take.<br>
the pain is horrible and i know i wont be able to get to teh dr. until the least Wed.<br>
please, someone, tell me there is something OTC i can take or give me a natural remedy! im dying over here in pain!<br>
tia<br>
rach

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Can you just take some Mylanta for now? Papaya has good natural antacid but you sould *not* take it when pg because it can cause miscarriage if taken too much from what I have heard. Aloe Vera juice is good for healing ulcers, too. I am not sure if it's safe in pg, you might want to ask someone. ((HUGS)) I hope you feel better soon!<br><br>
For whatever it's worth, I was told I could take Zantac when I had severe heartburn in pregnancy.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>aisraeltax</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">im not preg. though, but bf'ing. are both of those considered the same?<br>
thanks</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Sorry, I was replying too fast. It could be secreted in breastmilk, but Zantac is something that is commonly given to reflux babies with no problems so it's probably okay for you to take it. You can call LLL and find out what meds are okay and what are not.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
rantidine or how ever its spelled which is what pepcid is is fine when nursing. i took it when i was nursing Carter as i had severe heartburn. still do but thats another story! Anyway it sort of helped me and it helped Carter with his reflux as well.<br><br>
tums/mylanta and rolaids are also fine to take.<br><br>
GL mama

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you! it may be Wed. or thurs. before i can get in to see my dr. i am not sure if its acid reflux or an ulcer but it hurts like heck!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
That's interesting about papaya. I just did some searches on that on google and half the pages said to avoid papaya if pregnant and the other half said there was no evidence to support it. Since I live on papaya enzyme pills to treat life long gut issues and had it daily through my pregnancy and now 7 months of breastfeeding I was surprised. On the other hand papaya never helped me with an acid reflux type issue. Only gut issues.<br><br>
As for the other drugs if they give them to infants I do not see why you could not have them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts