Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it...it was one of my first symptoms of pregnancy though I didn't recognise it as such at the time(before I even tested positive) since I had never had it in either of my 3 previous pregnancies.

Now her I am 23weeks and suffering from acid reflux...no heartburn this time but this is worse...it gets so bad I get nauseated but I don't want to :puke because it hurts/burns.

Anything I can do...I am elevating my head and trying not to eat before bed...

I think someone mentioned chewing gum as well...will give that a try...at least it will cover the taste

any other suggestions...and please please tell me once this baby comes it will go away

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had been taking Tums until my midwife informed me that they were apparently the incarnation of all things evil. She recommended papaya enzyme - taken after each meal and I cannot believe the difference. It has really taken care of most of my reflux/indigestion/heartburn issues (unless I do something stupid like eat three slices of takeout pizza)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I highly recommend an acid blocker. You can get pepcid (not the chewables but the pill that prevents it OTC). If I don't take it I vomit all day long. It has really made a difference. My perinatologist with my first pg said it was fine to take and my midwife with this pg also said it is fine.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
My midwife prescribed me Zantac and it has saved my sanity (somewhat :LOL ) I've had a rough time this pregnancy with acid reflux and puking, and this helps me be able to actually eat dinner (most of the time) and sleep.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tums doesn't help this anyway...geez, I had no idea they weren't ok...I have taken them throughout my first 3 pregnancies...who knew? They are the only thing I ever took for anything so I guess that's pretty good anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanetteL
I had been taking Tums until my midwife informed me that they were apparently the incarnation of all things evil. She recommended papaya enzyme - taken after each meal and I cannot believe the difference. It has really taken care of most of my reflux/indigestion/heartburn issues (unless I do something stupid like eat three slices of takeout pizza)

where do I get this...healthfood stores? Is it liquid, tablet, capsule...I am vegetarian and many things are in gelatin

I think I would like to try this...I get so nauseated but I am so scared to be sick because it would burn...I am so miserable!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Carolyn,
No gelatin in the ingredient list - I just found mine at a local farmers market/health food store - they had several brands to choose from. It really has worked so much better than Tums, wish I knew about them earlier. They are little, slightly sweet, chewable pills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having this problem too, at 27 weeks. My midwife also recommended eating papaya or the papaya supplement, but said that I should eat tiny amounts frequently throughout the day instead of actual meals. I'm having a hard time with that but will continue trying to decrease the amount I eat at one time... Good luck!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I've had it since I was pregnant w/ #1 (and once you have it, it's not likely to go away when you're not pg. Just so you know. It's not as bad when I'm not pregnant, but it's AWFUL when I am!) I take a lot of TUMS. They're just calcium carbonate, sugar and flavoring. They're not bad for you. They're pretty much like eating chalk. It won't hurt you, but it won't really do you any good except help neutralize a little of the acid in your stomach. TUMS help sometimes, but not always. I also take Maalox before bed and it works a lot better. I think they're Maalox, anyway, but I'm not completely sure. I just know when I buy them, I make sure they're not the kind w/ aluminum in the ingredients.

I stay away from citrus if I'm going to be lying down or sitting a lot. Walking and stretching my arms over my head helps A LOT! My sister also has reflux and she says dairy makes it worse for her (I'm allergic, so I don't eat dairy.) We're both allergic to tomatoes, but I'd imagine they would make it worse too since they're so acidic. What else? Oh, apples. If I peel my apples, I'm fine, but apple skins are so bad for me for some reason. I don't know if that's wierd or not. My sister also recently started taking the papaya pills and swears by them. She's not pregnant, btw. Like I said, it doesn't go away, although it's not as bad. I completely forgot about them. I meant to get some next time I went to the natural foods store. I was there yesterday and completely forgot! Darn! I'll have to write it down. LOL!

edited to add that I'm a grazer even when I'm not pregnant. Low blood sugar runs in my family, so I guess we picked up thehabit from my mom. LOL! I do know that when we go out to eat, I eat a lot more in one sitting than usual and I get terrible heartburn/reflux symptoms. Who knows if it's from the food or from eating too much?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Also, (sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but this is related) my mom had surgury for a hiatal hernia when I was a kid. Does anyone know anything about that? Sometimes I wonder if it's genetic and if I should be checked for one. Of course, my mom still has reflux even after the surgury, so maybe there's no point.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know how you feel, I have Barrett's Esophagitis so I deal with these symptoms normally (meaning while not preggo). I'm usually on Nexium, but stopped that when TTC (and pregnant then nursing etc). During pregnancy I avoid: tomatoes (and anything derived from them, sauce, salsa etc), onions, citrus, garlic, spicy foods. I also take Maalox, liquid, not pills, if I'm having an "episode". I only do that at night though. I also sleep with two pillows propping up my head; if you lay flat the acid just builds back up into your esophagus and it's pure hell. Eat small, frequent meals during the day. My OB said I could take Zantac 75, but I haven't needed to do that yet (I'm at 33 weeks).

FWIW, all I've read said heartburn during pregnancy is common because all of your digestive functioning gets squished by the baby. I felt *much* better with my daughter once she dropped prior to delivery and then felt fine after delivery (until about 6 months later when my Barrett's symptoms came back!) So I hope having the baby will be your cure.

Michelle

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Just wanted to add the Papaya helped me some when PG (I had bad reflux and think I had a gastric ulcer too at the time) but the thing that cleared up both symptoms was the herb Slippery Elm (check with your MW) it worked great and its at the healthfood store too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the papaya recommendation! I got some this morning and took some this evening, so far so good! I also got some Traditional Medicinals Digestive Tea, it too contains papaya. I Iced the tea and its very nice.

Thanks ladies!

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so far the papaya seems to be helping...I only had one little incident yesterday and I had forgotten to take the papaya so my fault....I even had a glass of lemonade with supper and nothing!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Why your midwife called Tums the incarnation of all things evil is a bit curious. From a medical and health standpoint, they're fine. I can't find anything anywhere (that is written in more than an anecdotal way) that says they're not. Even MotherRisk says they're okay.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
I broke down and started taking Zantac occasionally. It works very well. I try not to take it too often. No tomato sauce, and I always lay on my right side so gravity keeps the acid in my stomach. Mine went away after I delivered last time, and didn't come back until about 23 weeks. Last time I didn't know it was acid reflux and thought it was hunger and ate all the time and got fat. Stoopid me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts