Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,447 Posts
I've had it since I was pregnant w/ #1 (and once you have it, it's not likely to go away when you're not pg. Just so you know. It's not as bad when I'm not pregnant, but it's AWFUL when I am!) I take a lot of TUMS. They're just calcium carbonate, sugar and flavoring. They're not bad for you. They're pretty much like eating chalk. It won't hurt you, but it won't really do you any good except help neutralize a little of the acid in your stomach. TUMS help sometimes, but not always. I also take Maalox before bed and it works a lot better. I think they're Maalox, anyway, but I'm not completely sure. I just know when I buy them, I make sure they're not the kind w/ aluminum in the ingredients.

I stay away from citrus if I'm going to be lying down or sitting a lot. Walking and stretching my arms over my head helps A LOT! My sister also has reflux and she says dairy makes it worse for her (I'm allergic, so I don't eat dairy.) We're both allergic to tomatoes, but I'd imagine they would make it worse too since they're so acidic. What else? Oh, apples. If I peel my apples, I'm fine, but apple skins are so bad for me for some reason. I don't know if that's wierd or not. My sister also recently started taking the papaya pills and swears by them. She's not pregnant, btw. Like I said, it doesn't go away, although it's not as bad. I completely forgot about them. I meant to get some next time I went to the natural foods store. I was there yesterday and completely forgot! Darn! I'll have to write it down. LOL!

edited to add that I'm a grazer even when I'm not pregnant. Low blood sugar runs in my family, so I guess we picked up thehabit from my mom. LOL! I do know that when we go out to eat, I eat a lot more in one sitting than usual and I get terrible heartburn/reflux symptoms. Who knows if it's from the food or from eating too much?

· Registered
5,447 Posts
Also, (sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but this is related) my mom had surgury for a hiatal hernia when I was a kid. Does anyone know anything about that? Sometimes I wonder if it's genetic and if I should be checked for one. Of course, my mom still has reflux even after the surgury, so maybe there's no point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.