Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Oh the things that these wee ones do on a daily basis that spins my head around.. ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My just-over 7 month old DS has just learned that if he grabs on to anything at his shoulder level or above, while on the potty, he can pull himself to standing (which promptly leads to careening towards the ground, head first).  He's a 23 pound hefty fellah (oh yeah, I've been told that I must make cream... sheesh) who isn't even really crawling yet. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, the issue in all of this... since we've started him on his first foods (pureed and well-cooked bits of veggies) he's had issues with constipation, and is resisting almost all attempts at the in-arms position.. I can distract him on occasion with making funny faces in the mirror and singing loudly, but I'd love to be able to rely more on the potty. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone gone through this stage of potty-diving and lived to tell the tale?  What can I do?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our bathroom is small... I can't place him in a spot where he can't touch either the side of the tub, the toilet, or the wall..  and he can easily launch himself upwards without a handhold when he puts his mind to it.  I'm always RIGHT there though, often timing our potty breaks together so that I'm sitting in front of him on the "big potty".  Distracting him with toilet paper squares and tubes does work.. but only for a moment. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>advice?! </p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>No advice, but please share with me what kind of potty you use!  My 7 month old (tall but lean, probably around 19 pounds) is not comfortable on the one I have.Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
<p>Perhaps you could potty him in a different room where he can't grab on to stuff?  Even in the hallway outside the bathroom or something?  Could you also try giving him toys to play with while on the potty that he doesn't get to play with any other time?</p>

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Ok, so for now, we seem to have found a solution!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We don't normally have any kind of plastic or non-handmade toy around.. but last Chrismas we were given a little musical snowglobe as a present for the unborn babe.. </p>
<p>It's now proving to be the deal maker! It keeps his attention so well and gets the job done.. hahaha.. awesome!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Patio, we use the Bambino Mio and really like it.. super simple potty that is low to the ground, perfect for beginners.. and it's got a handle cut out of the back, PERFECT to move it around the bathroom with a foot while you're unsnapping a diaper on a squiggly babe.  ;D</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts