Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am bf my 8 month old ds who sometimes would rather be playing, crawling or anything that does not involve holding still. He was fussy, it had been 3 hours since he last nursed and I was trying to get him to settle down and have a little boobie snack. He was arching his back and fighting me which is his new thing. Eventually he stops and will nurse. My mother was over, and she said "I know you dont want to hear this but maybe its time you give him a bottle" I said, "No, he is not going to get a bottle. How is that going to help?" She said, "Then he could sit up and drink and not have to lie down." Again I said "No." So she walks by and says to my squirming, struggling ds, "I'd give you a bottle and we wouldn't even tell your mommy."

I am SO mad. I dont leave him alone with anyone besides DH, so its not going to happen... but why on earth would she say that? Why can't she just support my choice to breastfeed as long as I want to? She says I "weaned myself" at age 8 months. I suppose I was too busy to calm down and nurse so she just gave me a bottle.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm so sorry...my mother is not that way, but my inlaws are. They started trying to convince me DS needed a bottle at 6 weeks...and a bottle of cows milk at that!
: I'm on month 19 of nursing and still loving it, even though it gets very acrobatic at times!

Oh and about the "I'd give it to you and not tell mom" comment...my inlaws did a similar thing. We were at their house once and DS was trying to get into some decorative glass marbles. I told him no, then moved the decoration out of his reach to prevent him from choking on a marble (DUH). My FIL said "Well if I were watching you, I'd let you play with a marble!".

Hmm...and they wonder why we never let them watch DS? DUH. I'm so with you on that one. Just do what you know is best for you and your little one! Some people just can't help but let unwanted advice spill from their mouths!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
It's upsetting because it's like a slap in the face, from your own mother. Complete lack of respect and lack of support. AND to top it off, she's acting like she'd be helping the situation, and helping DC, by giving him a bottle. As though what you're doing is wrong, or silly and misguided, or something.

I'd have said something like "Thanks ssooooo much for your support, Mom!" but that's just me.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
My 7 month old is doing the same thing right now. He makes up for it at night. But he just has other things to do now like play with his brother, his toys, investigate everything, nursing is old hat

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
My son was the same way at 8 months, and we'd been supplementing and he was getting very little breastmilk by then. We had the exact same problem you do, using bottles. He'd be starving, screaming, and refusing to settle down and drink because he was too excited about playing and crawling around. The bottle really made no difference; in fact it was harder to settle him down with the bottle than with nursing, because it didn't offer as much emotional comfort.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Have you tried letting him nurse sitting up, facing you? I have had to start doing that a lot with Esther, and it's kind of a pain since it means I have to sit there and hold my boob in position, but she'll eat a bit longer that way when she's excited.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Have you tried letting him nurse sitting up, facing you? I have had to start doing that a lot with Esther, and it's kind of a pain since it means I have to sit there and hold my boob in position, but she'll eat a bit longer that way when she's excited.
i was going to suggest this! I don't have to hold my boob though I just lean forward a bit and he leans on my forearms...we do this a lot while NAK. he has a lot less problems.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My baby's not past the lying-down stage, but I was going to suggest what others said, to try the sitting-up-facing-you position. I also saw another mom sitting w/ her legs stretched out (like onto an ottoman), and her baby was laying on her legs, facing her (like in a crawling position), and was nursing that way too.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
8 months is a very curious time and babes can e very hingry but too busy to want to settle to eat. *sheesh* my bottle fed dd did this...I could tell she was hungry but she needed to move from one activity to the next and fussed in between. no bug deal...I need time to unwind before I eat. so do kids.

I wonder if your Mom would like to feed your child and it was her very poor way of telling you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.